• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Humidity Down for Fluon

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 11 2021 - 3:16 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi all,

the instructions on the Byformica fluon say that recommended humidity is below 45%, but now that summer's coming humidity in my house will be above that. Maybe regularly in the 60s.

I have a few questions:

Will an open setup negate high humidity? I'd imagine even if you had good ventilation the air would wear down the humidity, but it also sounds unreasonable a product as good as this would just stop working in normal summer conditions.

How do you guys keep humidity down?

What exactly are the negative effects of humidity?

Thanks.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 11 2021 - 3:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Depends on species, but an open lid with a lip of upside down fluon is usually best. For some species, like Crematogaster, the fluon really just slows them down, so you need to manage them with a lid. The title of my reveal-all memoir as a Crematogaster keeper will be: Fluon is Not Enough
  • Lillyrose likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 11 2021 - 3:39 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Good point about the lid!

If you don't mind me asking, how high does your humidity get in the summer?

Did you make your lid, and can you take a picture?

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Fluon and anything else you use as a barrier that makes the ants "slip" is impractical. Not sure why the whole community is so hell bent on doing things that way. Eventually you don't pay attention or it needs a slight re-application somewhere and half your colony is out. I personally always have sealed lids with screens. And feeding ports would be sealed with oil around it just so I can do a quick feeding.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:16 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Fluon and anything else you use as a barrier that makes the ants "slip" is impractical. Not sure why the whole community is so hell bent on doing things that way. Eventually you don't pay attention or it needs a slight re-application somewhere and half your colony is out. I personally always have sealed lids with screens. And feeding ports would be sealed with oil around it just so I can do a quick feeding.

Another extremely good idea!

Questions: Can you provide pictures?

How do you remove garbage?

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:27 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Another extremely good idea!
Questions: Can you provide pictures?
How do you remove garbage?

This isn't the best example but one I made. The screen pops out but is also air tight.

#7 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:41 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Ingenious design! Sorry if I am coming off as dense, but how do you do escape proof feeding?

Purpose of my question in the original post: The two colonies I need an outworld for right now are Aphaenogaster and Lasius. (Crematogaster in a few months but I'll cross that dangerous bridge when I get there). Where can I get mesh with holes smaller than those ants? You make an excellent point about disasters that happen when you slip up, a lid would definitely prevent that. I still want to make feeding as easy as possible.

I read somewhere for fluon reapplications, its a good idea to plug the tube and then put any foraging workers in another container as the fluon dries. I was thinking I should use a mesh lid and fluon, so if I do slip up it'll be okay, and I can use the process listed above to renew the barrier.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 11 2021 - 6:20 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I don’t think anyone is “hell bent” per se, it’s just a method that works for most people. I’m not saying I don’t agree with you though.

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted April 11 2021 - 9:39 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Ingenious design! Sorry if I am coming off as dense, but how do you do escape proof feeding?

Purpose of my question in the original post: The two colonies I need an outworld for right now are Aphaenogaster and Lasius. (Crematogaster in a few months but I'll cross that dangerous bridge when I get there). Where can I get mesh with holes smaller than those ants? You make an excellent point about disasters that happen when you slip up, a lid would definitely prevent that. I still want to make feeding as easy as possible.

I read somewhere for fluon reapplications, its a good idea to plug the tube and then put any foraging workers in another container as the fluon dries. I was thinking I should use a mesh lid and fluon, so if I do slip up it'll be okay, and I can use the process listed above to renew the barrier.

The top of the container has that white screen that pops out. Then I coat the inside around it so when I do open it they're likely to fall off as I feed them. And nothing can get through that screen. I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head. It's been a few years since I bought it. Message me and I'll send you a link or maybe someone else can chime in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users