• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Captive ants as natural repelent of other ants?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted April 9 2021 - 12:08 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hi, so, I wanted to ask about something, as I mentioned in the first post on this forum, I used to keep ants about 2 3 ( I was also surprised when I learned 2018 was 3 years ago ) years ago, and my house been previously the foraging ground for a Lasius niger colony ( I will never forget when they marched en masse through the house's kitchen ), and during summer and spring 2019 2018, the ants were surprisingly non-present, before returning Spring 2020 2019, and I wanted to ask has anybody experienced anything similar in their house and what could be the cause of such a thing?

Edited by NPLT, April 9 2021 - 12:09 PM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 12:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve actually had the opposite experience with increasing infestations of Tapinoma sessile in my home. I blame it on my kids spilling sugary foods all the time, though. I didn’t mind them until they started infiltrating some of my formicariums. At that point, I went nuclear with poison gel baits and basically ended the problem.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 9 2021 - 12:27 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline NPLT - Posted April 10 2021 - 5:49 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I’ve actually had the opposite experience with increasing infestations of Tapinoma sessile in my home. I blame it on my kids spilling sugary foods all the time, though. I didn’t mind them until they started infiltrating some of my formicariums. At that point, I went nuclear with poison gel baits and basically ended the problem.

I wonder if the foods were not spilt, would there would be an opposite effect, I dunno, can pheromones even travel that far?

Um, uh, Ants!

#4 Offline manik - Posted April 10 2021 - 7:21 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

mop the floor with vinegar i was having the same issue and that helped, i learned that in this forum btw lol

Edited by manik, April 10 2021 - 7:21 AM.

#5 Offline NPLT - Posted April 10 2021 - 8:01 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

mop the floor with vinegar i was having the same issue and that helped, i learned that in this forum btw lol

I suggested it to my parents but they did not implement the idea, I could at least get them to plant some mint plants in the kitchen.

Um, uh, Ants!

#6 Offline manik - Posted April 10 2021 - 9:49 AM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

I suggested it to my parents but they did not implement the idea, I could at least get them to plant some mint plants in the kitchen.

they sell a Windex with vinegar  and the odor is not bad but ants will still pick it up, that's what i used

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted April 10 2021 - 2:56 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Hi, so, I wanted to ask about something, as I mentioned in the first post on this forum, I used to keep ants about 2 3 ( I was also surprised when I learned 2018 was 3 years ago ) years ago, and my house been previously the foraging ground for a Lasius niger colony ( I will never forget when they marched en masse through the house's kitchen ), and during summer and spring 2019 2018, the ants were surprisingly non-present, before returning Spring 2020 2019, and I wanted to ask has anybody experienced anything similar in their house and what could be the cause of such a thing?

To be honest, I don't think it's as complicated as most people make it out to be. I think there's two main causes:

1. In the Spring it's colder outside but the ants have woken up from hibernation. Your house is warm :)

2. Humans are messy creatures and constantly leave food wherever we go. Ants wanna eat this.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 10 2021 - 4:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Vinegar spray did no good when I tried it.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 10 2021 - 4:26 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

i have a ghost ant infestation and they go after the rack that i have my ants on. but thers nothing on it...

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#10 Offline NPLT - Posted April 10 2021 - 7:08 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

To be honest, I don't think it's as complicated as most people make it out to be. I think there's two main causes:

1. In the Spring it's colder outside but the ants have woken up from hibernation. Your house is warm :)

2. Humans are messy creatures and constantly leave food wherever we go. Ants wanna eat this.

Yes I know, but when I kept ants the invading ants were not present even during the spring and summer months.

Um, uh, Ants!

#11 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 11 2021 - 4:49 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I have never had ants in my office until I started keeping ants in my office ... and while that sounds really dumb lol... what I mean is the only thing that drew the wild ants to my office was the food and drink in my captive ants outworlds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users