• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions about concrete and cement

formicarium ant nest

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NightStar - Posted April 8 2021 - 9:41 PM

NightStar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

In the information I obtained from my research and experiments. Cement is highly alkaline and can burn the feet of ants and inhibit the growth of egg larvae, when it absorbed by water can cause a efflorescence. Concrete made by combining cement with a large amount of sand and perlite can reduce the alkalinity a little but still has a high alkalinity (ph9-10). I want to find a recipe and way to reduce the alkalinity of concrete and efflorescence.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 8 2021 - 10:33 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I just use plaster. I don’t bother with concrete.

• jcisopodgang and Antcatcherpro3 like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 2:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Use hydrostone or grout.
  • jcisopodgang likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted April 9 2021 - 2:07 AM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDenver Area, Colorado

I just use plaster. I don’t bother with concrete.

I agree, i really would not bother with concrete, hydrocal is cheap anyways and looks... much better

irl catboy

#5 Offline Leo - Posted April 9 2021 - 3:48 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

wait, so how do ants outside live in the gaps of concrete walls?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 9 2021 - 3:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

wait, so how do ants outside live in the gaps of concrete walls?

Yeah, the whole alkalinity thing seems kind of overblown to me. But why buy a twenty pound sack of messy concrete, when you can make a much better product with grout, hydrostone, or plaster? Better yet, if you live anywhere outside of North America, get Ytong or AAC.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline steelplant - Posted April 9 2021 - 3:45 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I make my nests with concrete made with vermiculite. Once the concrete has cured (about a week) I would have thought the pH would become more neutral. I'd better test it out.

Not saying concrete's better than the other options. It is a bit on the grey side but the vermiculite makes it shine like dwarven catacombs and it's a joy to carve. I haven't tried many other options though. I liked plaster as it hydrates so easily, but it's prone to moulding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, ant nest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users