• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Lasius Niger's have FINALLY left their test tube

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted June 4 2015 - 4:52 AM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Wow, this took so long.

Even though I didn't do anything it somehow feels rewarding.

They must have done it overnight I check them very often...

Just looked some 10 minutes ago and thought they all escaped :lol:  they seem to go back to the test tube for water...not exactly ideal it's quite large so it takes up a lot of room.

I don't know if where they moved to is so good either the formicarium had a cork section which I removed, later put it back with dirt under it to absorb moisture so there's like 1cm of dirt and then a cork thing on top...they moved in to the 1cm of dirt...

I pulled it up a bit so they have more room don't think there were any casualties.

Also FIRST BORN, finally! They have about 15 or more eggs and one has definitely hatched as it's still white. The population is about to explode I guess.

Kind of worried though because I still can't find any food they like tried orange, strawberry, apple, banana, plain sugar water, honey(several different kinds and purities) and various veg.

They do like mealworms and a locust every now and then but they won't take anything sweet, perhaps they get all they need from inside the test tube for now but if they're too dependant on that how will they survive without it I worry :ugone2far:

Anyway this is exciting and I can look through the acryllic at the bottom to see what they're getting up to, Queen digging away right now.

#2 Offline AntsTexas - Posted June 4 2015 - 6:42 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

u could try, cat/dog food, chicken,

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted June 4 2015 - 7:19 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Small colonies do not eat much.  1-2 trips a day can easily sustain them.  So unless you have a motion camera set up, you can easily miss them foraging.

I rarely even catch my Lasius colony with 50+ workers actually eating, but hummingbird nectar disappears, mealworm pieces get moved, and the brood looks fat.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Steveboy777 - Posted June 4 2015 - 5:53 PM

Steveboy777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I tried dog food and they didn't like it, good stuff too mostly meat.

I've removed the test tube now and put a smaller one in with sugar water and a cotton bud so they sould be fine with that...should be.

They seem a picky bunch the food is left untouched half the time.

They'll eat when they need I guess.

Issue I have now is humidity if I dampen the soil they'll all drown.

Got some gravel(for fish tanks) in a corner so I can drop water there without it clumping up the sand and soil. They're still alive anyway must be working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users