• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Coming back to ant keeping

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rashid_Chakrabarti - Posted April 17 2021 - 3:03 AM

Rashid_Chakrabarti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I haven't been in the hobby for about 2 years now and recently I started thinking about coming back. I'm a fairly experienced reptile and tarantula keeper and I'm currently thinking about buying an Asian species or other exotic species. I previously had success with keeping messor barbarus, camponotus barbaricus and tetramorium caespitum colonies. Do you guys have any recommendations for an active species that grow to nice-sized colonies, optionally is polygamous, and where to buy them? I almost forgot to mention I live in the EU

- Thanks a lot in advance and I hope to be a part of this hobby again fairly soon!

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 17 2021 - 4:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’re not exotic, but good ol’ Lasius niger seem like some of the funnest ants to keep. Period.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 17 2021 - 4:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They’re not exotic, but good ol’ Lasius niger seem like some of the funnest ants to keep. Period.

Never thought I would see an English teacher say “funnest”

To the OP, I would recommend starting with something suited for beginners as you haven’t kept ants for a bit. Some of the more exotic ants could be a little challenging depending on species so make sure to research before buying one.

Edited by Kaelwizard, April 17 2021 - 4:46 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline Rashid_Chakrabarti - Posted April 17 2021 - 5:18 AM

Rashid_Chakrabarti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

To the OP, I would recommend starting with something suited for beginners as you haven’t kept ants for a bit. Some of the more exotic ants could be a little challenging depending on species so make sure to research before buying one.

I've had my fun with challenging spiders before, both in humidy requirements and well being all around agressive little crawlers so humidy related issues shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually looking for something in-between, not really a beginner species like a lasius or messor but not something without any reliable information on it like diacamma species or something extremely diffult to raise (carebara) or contain (solenopsis, anolepis etc.). I've been looking at asian camponotus species but I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinions :)

Edited by Rashid_Chakrabarti, April 17 2021 - 5:19 AM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 17 2021 - 5:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Superlative adjectives, my friend. The rule for one syllable adjectives is to add -est. No reason to treat fun as an exception. I’m willing to die on that hill. Lol
  • Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline Canadant - Posted April 17 2021 - 6:45 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Homest question: What makes them so fun?
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 17 2021 - 6:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I'll let this journal answer that question: https://www.formicul...-niger-wegmier/

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 17 2021 - 7:43 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Lasius brunneus is a journal I would love to see, some of my favorite European ants. Another interesting one is Aphaenogaster subterranea, as well as Crematogaster scutellaris.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline NPLT - Posted April 17 2021 - 12:41 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

I've had my fun with challenging spiders before, both in humidy requirements and well being all around agressive little crawlers so humidy related issues shouldn't be a problem. I'm actually looking for something in-between, not really a beginner species like a lasius or messor but not something without any reliable information on it like diacamma species or something extremely diffult to raise (carebara) or contain (solenopsis, anolepis etc.). I've been looking at asian camponotus species but I'm always interested in hearing other people's opinions :)

So, I'm not sure if I am qualified to give any advice for ants, but I think I did enough research so, I think I can, since you're looking for challenging and fun species, any Colobopsis ants ( how can you not love their flat heads ) or my dream ants Cataglyphis, or Strongylognathus testaceus if you want to dive into parasites ( even if the queen dies, they coexist with queens of Tetramorium caespitum in one nest without killing eachother so you'd be left with T. caespitum ), or Solenopsis fugax, or Manica rubida if you're in for a risk of stinging.

All dead queens and purchases are entirely not the fault of commenter

But if I were you, I'd go for something in the European Camponotus or Formica species, they're not that hard, but I believe offer more challenges than good ol' Lasius, Messor, or Tetramorium. ( All mentioned species are European and npt exotic, while the risk of creating an invasive species is minimal, importing ants can be both costly and dangerous for the ants [ also, my personal beliefs but I do not want to start a flame war on ethics of exotic ants ] ).

Edited by NPLT, April 17 2021 - 12:46 PM.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#10 Offline JoeByron - Posted April 17 2021 - 2:52 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Hi! I haven't been in the hobby for about 2 years now and recently I started thinking about coming back. I'm a fairly experienced reptile and tarantula keeper and I'm currently thinking about buying an Asian species or other exotic species. I previously had success with keeping messor barbarus, camponotus barbaricus and tetramorium caespitum colonies. Do you guys have any recommendations for an active species that grow to nice-sized colonies, optionally is polygamous, and where to buy them? I almost forgot to mention I live in the EU

- Thanks a lot in advance and I hope to be a part of this hobby again fairly soon!

The fact that this is the definition of exotic "1 : very different, strange, or unusual. 2 : introduced from another country : not native exotic plants." I do not think anyone here would support a decision for a less experienced ant keeper to keep ants that are not from around their area. 

Its hard enough to support people I know to keep ants from not around our area. 

HIGHLY recommend picking your own local ant species.

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 18 2021 - 10:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

The fact that this is the definition of exotic "1 : very different, strange, or unusual. 2 : introduced from another country : not native exotic plants." I do not think anyone here would support a decision for a less experienced ant keeper to keep ants that are not from around their area.

Its hard enough to support people I know to keep ants from not around our area.

HIGHLY recommend picking your own local ant species.
The OP believes they are ready and in EU it is legal to get exotic species, so I don’t see any problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users