• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Super colony Myrmica rubra

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline St3 - Posted April 15 2021 - 5:27 PM

St3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The colony of Myrmica rubra that I have, keep all here queens the ones that do feel like flying quickly get dragged back in the nest, I have literally hundreds and hundreds of queen, tbh I don't want or need that many queens, I was thinkg of putting together 10-20 smaller colonys of anywhere between 5-20 queens per colony, I have only ever seen 1-3 queen colony for sale, do you guys think people want more queens per colony

#2 Offline gs5248 - Posted April 15 2021 - 6:43 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Deleted,

Edited by gs5248, April 16 2021 - 7:47 PM.

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 15 2021 - 7:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Yeah well its m. rubra buts yeah you could also try and sell them.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 16 2021 - 10:48 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

IF you have hundred upon hundreds of queens, you should definitley release a lot of them back into the wild.

these are invasive so this would be a very bad idea unless they are in europe

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted April 16 2021 - 10:59 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

IF you have hundred upon hundreds of queens, you should definitley release a lot of them back into the wild.

Yeah, no.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#6 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 16 2021 - 11:36 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

, I have only ever seen 1-3 queen colony for sale, do you guys think people want more queens per colony

I think 3 is a solid number because 5 sounds ... well kinda scary lol . You can probably get people who are interested in super colonies to purchase that many at once.

I think it would be fine to have the numbers you mentioned to sell... but you may wanna do some with only 3 and see if people respond to that more.

#7 Offline gs5248 - Posted April 16 2021 - 7:47 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I did not realize they were invasive, sorry.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 17 2021 - 6:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The colony of Myrmica rubra that I have, keep all here queens the ones that do feel like flying quickly get dragged back in the nest, I have literally hundreds and hundreds of queen, tbh I don't want or need that many queens, I was thinkg of putting together 10-20 smaller colonys of anywhere between 5-20 queens per colony, I have only ever seen 1-3 queen colony for sale, do you guys think people want more queens per colony

It doesn't really matter how many queens they have. You can limit their growth by limiting the amount of food they are given, and the workers will then eat the queens they don't need, to conserve food resources. They likely do this with males, and many of the queens that are dragged back into the nest already, as the colony most likely shares your sentiment that they do not need that many queens.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users