• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My ants seem to still be in hibernation mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Redmoth27 - Posted March 30 2021 - 10:40 AM

Redmoth27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Even though it's spring in San Jose my camponotus Clarithorax species is still trying to hibernate. I made the mistake of not hibernating until January and I took them out of hibernating at the beginning of March (As you guys suggested). Currently they don't go outside into the outer world and they've heavily barricaded the test tube exit with dirt and bark. What do I do to make them act normal again or am I just screwed. Also where can I find good information on Camponotus clarithorax, Antwiki and Wikipedia say absolutely nothing about this species?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 10:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What temperature are they kept at?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Redmoth27 - Posted March 30 2021 - 10:48 AM

Redmoth27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

They're in my room and the thermometer next to them says 22C.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 11:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t know that species, but you may want to be a few degrees warmer than that to get them going. Don’t bake them, though!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 31 2021 - 3:01 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Do you mean San Jose, CA, or San Jose, Puerto Rico, or San Jose Cuba, or San Jose, columbia?

We are having some nice warm weather in San Jose, CA right now.  ;)

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users