• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Begginer's question: When to introduce them to the habitat?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Barbarus - Posted March 10 2021 - 9:04 AM

Barbarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMulhouse, France

I'm just beggining in ant keeping.

I believe these are Messor Barbarus.

159292946-271621927699927-15618455412288

So my first question would be if this is any close the number to allow them to tranfer to a new home?

And, should I be worried about the dark spots on the cotton? Not sure if that's mould or just feces.

• Chickalo likes this

#2 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 10 2021 - 9:06 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Most people reccomend 50-100 workers, depending on what you want to move them into, and I wouldn't worry about the dark spots for now

• Barbarus likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#3 Offline Barbarus - Posted March 10 2021 - 9:11 AM

Barbarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

#4 Offline benxixi - Posted March 10 2021 - 2:43 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

you can put them in a to go box with 20-30 workers, they will still stay in test tube first ,only 1-2 worker will come out for seach , and you can put another test tube ,they can drink or move if they like.

and you do not need worried about dark spots on the cotton,because there is more bigger dark thing on my honey pots test tube cotton until I move them to a new nest.

• Barbarus likes this

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

#5 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:42 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Cool. Messor are a very cool spieces. Your lucky to have them. But you should look up there care because it would suck for them to die.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:44 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Cool. Messor are a very cool spieces. Your lucky to have them. But you should look up there care because it would suck for them to die.

I'm sure they researched their care before they bought them. They joined the right place anyway.

#7 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:48 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Yup. I know.

who wouldn't. You can't just keep ants without knowing how to care for them.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 10 2021 - 3:49 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Yup. I know.

Then why did you tell them to look up their care?

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2021 - 5:31 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Yup. I know.

Then why did you tell them to look up their care?

Lol.  I'm sure he was just trying to be helpful.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline Barbarus - Posted March 13 2021 - 12:49 PM

Barbarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

you can put them in a to go box with 20-30 workers, they will still stay in test tube first ,only 1-2 worker will come out for seach , and you can put another test tube ,they can drink or move if they like.

and you do not need worried about dark spots on the cotton,because there is more bigger dark thing on my honey pots test tube cotton until I move them to a new nest.

Thanks! I placed them on a small foraging box, with some extra food, another tube with water, some sugar water and food paste. The queen came out to taste the sugar a few minutes later but then it went back to the tube. The workers basically gathered all the extra seeds, and now there's one one or two ants out of the tube at each time. I will eventually have to transfer them to a new tube, I suspect. Already ordered a new one and a heating mat. So far they are staying close to some heating pipes who are constantly warm (25ºC) so i'm not worried about the temperature, but I'd like them to be in a different place and I'll need the mat for that. 

A question, should I try to recreate the temperature cycle of a regular day? That is, making the box slightly colder during the night?

• BugFinder likes this

#11 Offline Barbarus - Posted March 13 2021 - 12:52 PM

Barbarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks! I did some research before getting them and I keep reading and reading! I hope I don't do any major mistakes cause I'm loving the experience so far!

Still don't see how you guys are able to identify ants species and genus immediately! xD It looks so damn hard! ahah

#12 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 13 2021 - 4:52 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Be careful if you ever want to put them in soil.

I have a colony with about 150 workers and if I wouldn't have accidentally dug them up while pulling out a plant recently Id think they're dead.

Once the seed storage is full they do the rest under ground. I've seen the last forage 2 weeks ago.
I'd give them chia seeds mine will only take them if it's an option
  • Barbarus likes this

#13 Offline benxixi - Posted April 1 2021 - 9:45 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Thanks! I placed them on a small foraging box, with some extra food, another tube with water, some sugar water and food paste. The queen came out to taste the sugar a few minutes later but then it went back to the tube. The workers basically gathered all the extra seeds, and now there's one one or two ants out of the tube at each time. I will eventually have to transfer them to a new tube, I suspect. Already ordered a new one and a heating mat. So far they are staying close to some heating pipes who are constantly warm (25ºC) so i'm not worried about the temperature, but I'd like them to be in a different place and I'll need the mat for that. 

A question, should I try to recreate the temperature cycle of a regular day? That is, making the box slightly colder during the night?

as I know, Messor Barbarus is not sensitive on temp, not too high as 30℃ ,not too low as 20℃, they will develop good.

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users