• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

High tubing outworld solutions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 30 2021 - 6:39 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi all,

I'm reusing this really useful container with a round upper lip (perfect for fluon). One problem is that it's round so using a hot poker for a tube is difficult. Fortunately, there is a flat area where you can insert a vinyl tube. I can't put the vinyl any lower, so I'd imagine the ants would have a very difficult time bringing food back to the nest. My ideas for solutions are: 
Putting a highish layer of sand so it's level. Problem: Ants might nest in it, but I'm not sure if they will if I keep the sand super dry.

Filling it up with concrete to "tube level". Problem: Heavy, messy and inconvenient, although the ants won't be able to nest in it.

https://www.formicul...0210330-102444/

Any suggestions?

Edited by Temperateants, March 30 2021 - 6:41 AM.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 9:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you put a stick leading from the floor up to the tube? That’s what I do for my Crematogasters. What species is this for?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted March 30 2021 - 3:40 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I'm leaning a bit towards the concrete base, but different than just pouring up to level with the tube. I would do a thin layer of grout on the bottom and pour a wedge in that handle up to the tube.

Or if you want to do easier, feed enough tubing into it to wrap around and angle down to the bottom.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 3:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Find a cool looking stick. Go to a stream bank and look for twigs that have been weathered a bit for a driftwood look.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users