• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm so happy! my first queen! lol

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline manik - Posted March 12 2021 - 4:21 PM

manik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNYC

well 4 days back i got my first queen ever, a camponotus chromaiodes i got her with 9 workers but the test tube they gave her to me was tiny and dry, which made me have to transfer them the very first day i got the colony, so i put the little test tube "inside" the other, there was a tiny little gap between them, to me the gap was too small for them to escape, i saw one of the workers try and try but  nothing, like 20 minutes later that worker did escape without even trying to move to he new test tube, so i took a food container put a little soil in there, put a new full test tube with water, another one half way and i put little bits of cork in it, another test tube without water but with bits of cork too and i took a tiny little test tube and got it ready with honey water, after putting them in the soil they went to the half water half cork test tube, one hour later they moved to the test tube with only cork on it, i gave them a tiny roach and let them in the dark until today and ...i see 4 eggs! thanks for all the help guys!

• ConcordAntman likes this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 12 2021 - 11:38 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Nice! Get some pics.

• ConcordAntman likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 13 2021 - 9:53 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

well 4 days back i got my first queen ever, a camponotus chromaiodes i got her with 9 workers but the test tube they gave her to me was tiny and dry, which made me have to transfer them the very first day i got the colony, so i put the little test tube "inside" the other, there was a tiny little gap between them, to me the gap was too small for them to escape, i saw one of the workers try and try but  nothing, like 20 minutes later that worker did escape without even trying to move to he new test tube, so i took a food container put a little soil in there, put a new full test tube with water, another one half way and i put little bits of cork in it, another test tube without water but with bits of cork too and i took a tiny little test tube and got it ready with honey water, after putting them in the soil they went to the half water half cork test tube, one hour later they moved to the test tube with only cork on it, i gave them a tiny roach and let them in the dark until today and ...i see 4 eggs! thanks for all the help guys!

congratulations!  enjoy your new colony!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users