• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Ultimate Guide to Leafcutter Ants™

leafcutter ants atta acromyrmex trachymyrmex attini fungus growers fungus growing ants

30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline cap_backfire - Posted May 28 2021 - 11:27 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

but they seem to be doing well except for the poor little gal that can't figure out where to dump her dead sister.  just carries her around the upper-levels/ sticks.

My T. septentrionalis do the exact same thing. Whenever they have a dead worker, they just parade her corpse in circles around the outworld and can never find a spot to set it. I'm not sure what it's about. I've started using forceps to take the dead body away so that the carrier can go back to her normal duties.

Maybe I'll attach a tube that goes off a few feet... Let them use that for garbage and stock THAT with springtails... It's a possibility?  

#22 Offline antscientist - Posted November 2 2021 - 2:35 AM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have an Atta Texana colony and it's winter where I live and I think they're going in the 2-3 months of reduced foraging and their fungus seems pretty small. I was wonder if there would be any way to try to keep the fungus the same size till the 2-3 months of reduced foraging goes away.

#23 Offline LawOfOne1 - Posted January 4 2022 - 12:21 AM

LawOfOne1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Awesome post! what's an appropriate temperature for Acromyrmex versicolor?

I'm worried mine are too cold when it's getting down to 64F here at night

thanks

#24 Offline aznphenom - Posted April 12 2022 - 10:45 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Is there a magic number for atta texicana queens per colony? 2? 3? 4? etc

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#25 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 12 2022 - 2:06 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I have heard that groups of 3 usually do the best, although I haven't personally kept them or experimented with them.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#26 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 12 2022 - 2:33 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

thanks

A good temp is around 75 degrees but they can stand cold pretty well. Just make sure it actually isn’t too hot.

• CheetoLord02 and LawOfOne1 like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#27 Offline LawOfOne1 - Posted April 23 2022 - 3:14 PM

LawOfOne1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

thanks

A good temp is around 75 degrees but they can stand cold pretty well. Just make sure it actually isn’t too hot.

ok cool that's what I'm doing! Thanks!

• ZTYguy likes this

#28 Offline cutchins - Posted March 1 2024 - 8:28 PM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

Love this guide! I must have read and re-read dozens of times prior to and after purchasing my first A. versicolor colony. Thanks for putting it together!

@Cheeto, has there been any additional learnings gleaned about Versicolor keeping, or leafcutters in general, since this write up was first compiled? 

I think it would be awesome to maybe put together a list of common mistakes people make with these ants, or maybe common symptoms and their causes and fixes, etc. 

Are there big differences between moisture tolerance for the tropical Atta's versus the desert leafcutters? I've read that neither like standing water in the nesting chamber, which makes sense because they raise the same fungus, so if it doesn't like direct contact with water for one, it won't with the other either. It seems like the extremely different environments these species are found in would mean that they have evolved to deal with moisture or lack of moisture differently. (For example Versicolors hanging their fungus from the ceiling). But, aside from fungus die off causing a lack of food for the workers, is there anything else about too much moisture or oversaturated plaster that might be deadly to workers for instance? Maybe the growth of other non-beneficial fungus or pathogens that are harmful to the ants? What behaviors would you expect to see from the workers in a colony that is dealing with too much water in the chamber? Do the ants do anything to combat it? Or ignore it?

I've ready elsewhere that it's almost impossible to over-hydrate a petri-dish or deli cup style founding formicarium. Would you say that's true? Or should we limit the hydration to some level? Should moisture be visible on the surface of the plaster or should the plaster just be saturated enough to change its color, for example?

Sorry if i'm asking a lot, but this seems like the perfect place to add on any additional observations anyone has made lately. Especially if people have made mistakes and learned from them!

Thanks for any input anyone can provide!

EDIT:  Fixed capitalization of A. versicolor.

Edited by cutchins, March 1 2024 - 9:17 PM.

#29 Online GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 1 2024 - 8:53 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Please put an uppercase When you say A.versicolor.

Cheers!

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, March 2 2024 - 12:19 PM.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#30 Offline shopkin - Posted March 2 2024 - 11:39 AM

shopkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The first letter of the genus name is always capitalized but the species name is always lower case.  Both should be either underlined or italicized.

Edited by shopkin, March 2 2024 - 10:37 PM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#31 Offline cutchins - Posted March 21 2024 - 10:16 PM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

....well anyway.

Has anyone experimented with using a dedicated water dispenser in the outworld of a leafcutter colony? I recently saw a picture of a thriving colony that used a water dispenser in the outworld. From the picture it looked like the colony was quite fond of the dispenser, despite all of the fungus chambers being quite moist.

Since this guide and others I've seen have always indicated that additional water and food are not necessary for a leafcutter colony because the ants get everything they need from the fungus, I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with a water dispenser and if they noticed any benefits to their colony? I asked a leafcutter vendor that I trust and she indicated that she had heard anecdotally that it might increase worker longevity, but she wanted to experiment herself.

Anyone here experienced with leafcutters have any observations related to this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leafcutter ants, atta, acromyrmex, trachymyrmex, attini, fungus growers, fungus growing ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users