• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tapinoma Sessile Keeping?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 15 2021 - 7:03 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Hey folks, so reminder, I am an Illinois resident who has a great person who is helping me collect some ants I can keep that are local caught-by local I mean around 50 mile radius from my house.   Unusual stuff I would not have found on my own.   

Anyway, their care seems pretty basic-these ants only drawback I can find is that they smell like"rotten coconuts" somehow.   Never smelled that so hoping it's just like... pina colada (fingers crossed!!)

So they're like 2mm in size with the queens like 3mm.   My questions for housing are thus... 

1:  Could I keep a 20k colony with 300 queens in a setup of appropriate soil in a 54 quart plastic tub?  This would be basically the size of a 30 gallon tank.   Would this be enough space if I precut some holes for future expansion?  My thought was to put some holes ready for tubes into the setup so I could expand at a later date.   New tubs, tubes running across my desk area, etc.  

2:   Has anyone done or have experience doing a setup like this where you have a smaller tub inside, kind of buried?   Like an 'inner outworld?"  This would push soil up against the sides of the main tub so I might have a better chance of seeing them in their tunnels, and have the outworld 'inside' with maybe a few potted plants or planted plants for them to explore/ collect moisture from.   This would also allow for a "false bottom" to help regulate humidity in the tunnels.   

Any help is and would be amazing.  Online info is useful but a bit sparse.   Thanks!  

• Chickalo likes this

#2 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 7:09 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I've never actually kept those ants before, but they are really quick and escape the places where I keep them very easily. They are invasive if you didn't know that, but because they are already living there, there is no reason not to keep them. In my experience, they like sweets. They would drink a lot of sweets like honey, or sugar water. But you should give them protein like insects also. And no, I haven't done that type of setup before, but it sounds like it could work.

• cap_backfire likes this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 15 2021 - 7:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

@Antcatcherpro3, Tapioma sessile is native as can be. They are basically the native equivalent to L. humile in terms of care.

To the OP, a proper nest for these escape artists would be a large formicarium like an XXL Labyrinth from THA or a Nucleus. I wouldn't do a large tub like that- too much could go wrong imo, but if properly managed I suppose it could work. What are you going to do with the tub? Just a bunch of test tubes, or soil for them to dig?

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 7:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. A soil setup like that will take up a lot of space for a rather forgettable species. The humidity given off by the damp soil will make escape barriers ineffective at stopping them, then they will happily take over your home and attack your other colonies. Like TA says, these are basically off-brand Argentine ants.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 15 2021 - 7:51 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and cap_backfire like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 15 2021 - 8:50 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Well crap.   OK thanks for the heads up guys.   If I leave it open topped would it still have issues with humidity?   I had an idea for a floating island thing with a bonsai money tree in it.   If they're stupid I Definitely don't need them invading my home or other setups.    

#6 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 15 2021 - 8:51 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

@Antcatcherpro3, Tapioma sessile is native as can be. They are basically the native equivalent to L. humile in terms of care.

To the OP, a proper nest for these escape artists would be a large formicarium like an XXL Labyrinth from THA or a Nucleus. I wouldn't do a large tub like that- too much could go wrong imo, but if properly managed I suppose it could work. What are you going to do with the tub? Just a bunch of test tubes, or soil for them to dig?

To answer your question I would do soil to allow them to dig to their heart's content, keeping it at least 6 inches from the top.   

#7 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 9:26 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Well crap.   OK thanks for the heads up guys.   If I leave it open topped would it still have issues with humidity?   I had an idea for a floating island thing with a bonsai money tree in it.   If they're stupid I Definitely don't need them invading my home or other setups.    

If they escape, they will. I've had some workers escape before when I did keep them (not for long) and I found a few workers in my other ant nests. that's why I didn't keep them for long. I was afraid if a lot of them escaped, they would kill my other ants.

#8 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:12 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I've never actually kept those ants before, but they are really quick and escape the places where I keep them very easily. They are invasive if you didn't know that, but because they are already living there, there is no reason not to keep them. In my experience, they like sweets. They would drink a lot of sweets like honey, or sugar water. But you should give them protein like insects also. And no, I haven't done that type of setup before, but it sounds like it could work.

Where did you hear that they were invasive? Did you confuse them with Linepithema humile? 

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Tapinoma sessile is native to most of North America. They act in an invasive manner when they monopolize urban, human disturbed habitats, but they are still native.

• TennesseeAnts and cap_backfire like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 15 2021 - 10:46 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ohhh.... I was thinking of that other species. Yeah they are native, but are still escape artists. And they are pest ants I am pretty sure. so you wouldn't want them to escape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users