• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mites in my fruit fly culture

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 1 2021 - 2:15 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

So, I took a closer look at my fruit fly culture and noticed a ton of mites. How do I get rid of them, is there anything I should do to my ant colonies? They're very close to each other, so I'm afraid of the mites getting in to them. What should I do to prevent this in the future? Thanks in advance.

• jgoogz likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 1 2021 - 2:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I had this problem as well. Are they on the medium, and are the mites very pale?

As soon as I saw the mites I went full nuclear and threw the entire culture in the outside trash. that's personally what I would advise, and not sure how to prevent this in the future, especially if the flies are bought. Possibly just take flies out of the culture in the future, and breed those separately, to hopefully avoid the mite problem?

• jgoogz and DDD101DDD like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 1 2021 - 2:27 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York
Here are pictures of the mites, yes they are pale, yes they are on the medium.
S20210301 0004
P3010929

Do you think they will spread to my ant colonies?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 1 2021 - 2:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Do you see any on the flies? If not, and it appears as though they can't get out of the culture, then probably not. I'm just paranoid about that stuff, hence me throwing out my culture.

• DDD101DDD likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 1 2021 - 2:37 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Do you see any on the flies? If not, and it appears as though they can't get out of the culture, then probably not. I'm just paranoid about that stuff, hence me throwing out my culture.

Oh, I didn't bother checking the flies. I just threw it out a few minutes ago. But I did see quite a few mites on the lid.

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted March 1 2021 - 6:42 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

You can get some diatamacous   Earth and put a circle of it around your fruit fly cultures. I is very effective since it physically cuts the mites' exoskeletons.

• DDD101DDD likes this

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 1 2021 - 7:42 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

You can get some diatamacous   Earth and put a circle of it around your fruit fly cultures. I is very effective since it physically cuts the mites' exoskeletons.

Be careful when handling DE.  You will want to wear a respirator when handling it, and only apply it to places where it's not exposed, like in wall voids.   Always read and obey the label of any pesticide you are using before you use it.

• jgoogz, TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 2 2021 - 5:09 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
All of the fruit flies I had got them after a while.
If they are the same as the ones I had they do no harm to the ants, mine were not blood sucking and I fed the flies regardless of the mites.

Throwing them outside is always the safer option and that's what I'd suggest you do unless you can ID them but if you don't see them attached to the flies themselves chances are they are not parasitic.
I have soil setups so I'm always down to introduce beneficial mites that's why I still dumped them in with no bad effects even years after I introduced them
  • jgoogz and DDD101DDD like this

#9 Offline Temperateants - Posted March 2 2021 - 12:42 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I know mites cause cultures to crash, but is it possible to harvest any flies left and put them in boiling water? It seems kind of risky, but can mites survive boiling water?

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2021 - 1:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mites cannot survive boiling water. One could absolutely harvest the flies by freezing them and boiling them as needed.
This thread illustrates why I don’t do fruit flies anymore for my colonies. Even if the mites are harmless, having tens of thousands of them all over your setups is really annoying and frankly disgusting.
  • jgoogz and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 2 2021 - 3:34 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Mites cannot survive boiling water. One could absolutely harvest the flies by freezing them and boiling them as needed.
This thread illustrates why I don’t do fruit flies anymore for my colonies. Even if the mites are harmless, having tens of thousands of them all over your setups is really annoying and frankly disgusting.

this is true. they get all over your setups and crawl around. 

• jgoogz likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#12 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 2 2021 - 4:10 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I wonder why my setup didn't get infested really.

I guess the outside soil might've introduced predatory mites or something that keep the balance.
I have some mites in the soil but a big variety in fairly low numbers.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2021 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I wonder why my setup didn't get infested really.

I guess the outside soil might've introduced predatory mites or something that keep the balance.
I have some mites in the soil but a big variety in fairly low numbers.

You have a more balanced ecosystem. The trash mites really explode when there is no other competition and no controls.
  • AntaholicAnonymous likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline smares - Posted March 7 2021 - 1:30 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Could be grain mites. I've had an issue with these for a while and I haven't been able to get rid of them. I have seen them infect my starting ant colonies and make them crash, I suspect they were eating the eggs.

#15 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 7 2021 - 3:06 AM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado
Agreed with people in here. Mites are gross.

I’d start a new culture and use cotton to breathe it to prevent mites.

Fruitflies are just such good food for nearly all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you are, be a good one.

#16 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 7 2021 - 11:15 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

The only time I salvaged fruit flies from grain mites is one time when I rinsed off larvae ONE BY ONE in running water.

Unfortunately that colony died off a few generations later.

Now I COOK all my fruit flies (freeze then briefly boil). It's not worth the annoyance of grain mite infestations. The mite eggs stick to queens and brood and are nearly impossible to get rid of. It's a pity as fraggles love chasing and hunting ff.

P.S. I freeze all fruit fly bins contaminated with mites before chucking, hoping that will kill them. I would hate contributing to invasive mites spreading where they don't belong....

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 7 2021 - 11:18 AM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#17 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 7 2021 - 11:31 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Mites in bunches give me the creeps.  I would throw it away, too, just to be safe. 

• jgoogz likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#18 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 9 2021 - 3:40 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Forgot to ask but how do you get fruit flies out of the cup thing without them going all over the place?  I dunno I can just see them jumping out and onto my carpet, in which I'll never sleep in my room again.

• jgoogz likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#19 Offline jgoogz - Posted March 9 2021 - 3:46 PM

jgoogz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado

Forgot to ask but how do you get fruit flies out of the cup thing without them going all over the place? I dunno I can just see them jumping out and onto my carpet, in which I'll never sleep in my room again.

If you smack the side of whatever container they’re in they just fall to the bottom. If you poor them into a nice tall container, you have plenty of time to do whatever action you need before you gotta give it a lil smack.

If you smack it a lot they essential become fluid and you can poor them out of a corner of whatever container.

Best feeder insect ever.

• Chickalo likes this

Whatever you are, be a good one.

#20 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 9 2021 - 3:50 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Forgot to ask but how do you get fruit flies out of the cup thing without them going all over the place? I dunno I can just see them jumping out and onto my carpet, in which I'll never sleep in my room again.

If you smack the side of whatever container they’re in they just fall to the bottom. If you poor them into a nice tall container, you have plenty of time to do whatever action you need before you gotta give it a lil smack.

If you smack it a lot they essential become fluid and you can poor them out of a corner of whatever container.

Best feeder insect ever.

I'll make sure to smack the sides of a fruit fly colony next time I take a visit to Petco, thanks!

シグナチャーです。예.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users