• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How Fast do Termites Grow? (And a couple other questions)

termites growth

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted February 11 2021 - 11:49 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Ello People of Formiculture,

So Termites being in Blattodea, grow in different stages than nymphs.  Assuming Termites are like Ants in the fact different species take longer to grow than others (and vice versa), how long do Reticulitermes flavipes take to grow?  I'm pretty sure that's the species that lives in my local forests.

I plan on attempting to either catch a pair, or dig up a colony this year.  Depending on colony size, how big of a container do you think I should get?  I got a couple decent sized ones along with test tubes and a 10 gallon tank to use.

Finally, how does one go about finding a pair?  I'd assume you can't just find them on the ground, more like already stituated ones.  For instance, where can I find them, when, etc.  However I've been told I don't need to search for them if I can find a chunk of a colony, since workers can shed into reproductives (and inbreed I guess)

Thanks for the help, from Chickalo

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 11 2021 - 11:50 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Ello People of Formiculture,

So Termites being in Blattodea, grow in different stages than nymphs.  Assuming Termites are like Ants in the fact different species take longer to grow than others (and vice versa), how long do Reticulitermes flavipes take to grow?  I'm pretty sure that's the species that lives in my local forests.

I plan on attempting to either catch a pair, or dig up a colony this year.  Depending on colony size, how big of a container do you think I should get?  I got a couple decent sized ones along with test tubes and a 10 gallon tank to use.

Finally, how does one go about finding a pair?  I'd assume you can't just find them on the ground, more like already stituated ones.  For instance, where can I find them, when, etc.  However I've been told I don't need to search for them if I can find a chunk of a colony, since workers can shed into reproductives (and inbreed I guess)

Thanks for the help, from Chickalo

3 months from egg to worker I think

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 14 2021 - 3:15 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I was about to post a new topic when I realised this one was still a thing, what a fool I am  :facepalm: Sorry, but I still don't know about the last two lol

シグナチャーです。예.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: termites, growth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users