• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus captive breeding project

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline buglover123 - Posted June 12 2022 - 4:29 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Hi all

Not sure if this should be under Journals or whatnot but I figured this is the most appropriate place for this post.

I obtained a Camponotus drone and mated with an infertile Queen and just wanted to share!

In October 2021 I caught a black Camponotus Queen suspected to be vicinus. After hibernating over winter and taking her out and putting her in heat in 2022, as of May 2022 she still laid no eggs (while the others I caught from that time period have), so I say she was infertile.

Earlier this year, a different Camponotus Queen I caught Sept 2021 from a different locality laid eggs but only one hatched into a male drone! I figured I may as well try to pair this newly hatched drone with my other infertile female to see if they mate!

Here is the one infertile queen with her drone she produced: campo2.jpg

Here is the first Camponotus Queen with the drone newly introduced. I put them together in a heated incubator for a few days. I did not see them mate, but...: mating.jpg

Shortly thereafter, the Camponotus queen laid eggs! Image quality is poor, I snapped a quick picture so as to not disturb her much: campo3.jpg

I will update soon with better pictures, hopefully the eggs are fertile!

• sL0wNsteady, ZTYguy, eea and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 12 2022 - 8:33 PM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

Did the male die?

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

#3 Offline buglover123 - Posted June 13 2022 - 11:40 AM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Did the male die?

Yes.

#4 Offline buglover123 - Posted July 16 2022 - 4:55 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Update-she's fertilized and has hatched workers! One worker hatched and one more to hatch soon with some smaller eggs.

iamgod.jpg

I am not sure if the drone and the queen that mated are the same species, at the very least they are some sort of color variation. I wonder if they are hybrids!

Edited by buglover123, July 16 2022 - 4:56 PM.

• Manitobant likes this

#5 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 17 2022 - 3:42 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Wait WHAT? NEW SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY,

or I think

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2022 - 7:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

or I think

To make that conclusion one would need to prove she hadn’t mated before being collected.
  • BleepingBleepers likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline buglover123 - Posted July 17 2022 - 3:19 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

or I think

To make that conclusion one would need to prove she hadn’t mated before being collected.

I'm not sure how that's even possible.

She had not laid any eggs after 7 months of being in captivity also having been fed sugar water and undergoing hibernation, at that point every other Camponotus I caught at that time had either laid eggs or died. I can say I'm 99% sure she was fertilized by captive breeding.

The second worker has hatched. I hope she will make it to and through hibernation, it would be very interesting to see what the large workers and majors look like next year!

fuckgoogle.jpg

• lazyant likes this

#8 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 17 2022 - 4:58 PM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Or to guarantee a unfertelized queen, just grab one stariaght outta a wild colony

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#9 Offline buglover123 - Posted July 17 2022 - 8:57 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

I don't want to go on a tangent and derail from my journal, but even plucking a young queen from inside a colony does not guarantee that she's infertile. As far as I know there's no way to 100% know that a queen is infertile...likely  you'd have to do something ridiculous like some microsurgery which would obviously kill the queen. Regardless, I think what happened in my case is the queen was mated in captivity. I have successfully done this with Prenolepis as well. I'm excited to see what the majors will look like!

#10 Offline gs5248 - Posted July 19 2023 - 3:36 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

You would have to have two queens that were confirmed by rearing males, then just swap the off spring in their test tubes.

• M_Ants likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users