• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Voidley's Nylanderia Flavipes Obituary

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Voidley - Posted July 13 2023 - 6:34 AM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC
    Note: Reading this back I realize that it got a little long for an obituary and sounds a tad overdramatic so sorry in advance. I'm not going to change it since this is less of an actual journal and more of a funeral/obituary for me—only since she was my first queen ant. That being said feel free to read the following post if you want to.

Seven weeks ago I caught my first queen ant who I put in a test tube setup and have been doing weekly checkups on ever since. Last week, I saw pupae for the first time as well as many larvae and eggs. This week, I checked up on her hoping to see her first workers—who I found eating her corpse. I know that for some long time ant keepers here this is probably not a huge deal and you probably have lost countless queens in the past, however, since she was my first queen, I would like to make this post to remember her and to recount her journey.

August of last year was when I first became interested in ants, and over the winter I began considering catching a queen in the coming summer. I didn’t have any test tubes, but a science teacher, who I really like, actually lent one for me to use. At the time, I still didn’t even know if I would want to raise a queen or if I could even catch one, but either way I was still interested in ants and began to pay more attention to the ants I see every day.  One particular day, I was looking at some random ant workers when one of them caught my eye. She was the same size as the workers nearby, and I almost missed her, however, I noticed that she had slightly different proportions so I decided to capture her. At this point I was pretty clueless on how to find and identify queen ants, so this happening was just pure luck. Fortunately, I did catch her and put her in my test tube with some water and sand.

A week later, I checked up on her to find a very neat egg pile. At this point, I was stoked and posted on here for help identifying her—to which I learned she was Nylanderia Flavipes. After that, I began researching the species where I stumbled across ANTdrew’s Nylanderia notebook along with other peoples Nylanderia journals which made me even more excited to keep them. As the weeks went by, she laid more and more eggs which began developing into larvae and eventually pupae. She also used the sand that was in her test tube to absorb some of the water and eventually to make a founding chamber against the cotton ball. Unfortunately, this week when I checked up on her, I found that she had died. I don’t know if it was the workers that killed her or maybe she just died and they ate her? But either way I was quite saddened by this loss and wanted to pay my last respects. As for the nanitics and brood, I decided to freeze them instead of letting them starve, although it was still a little hard for me to euthanize the first ant workers I ever had.

Sorry again if all of this sounds a little dramatic/exaggerated, but thank you for anyone who did read all this, I hope that my first queen is flying high right now (though she might need to find her old wings).

Week 0: [attachment=15367:IMG-5710.jpg]
Week 1: [attachment=15368:IMG-0981.jpg]
Week 2: [attachment=15369:IMG-4203.jpg]
Week 3: [attachment=15370:IMG-4332.jpg]
Week 4: [attachment=15371:IMG-1313.jpg]
Week 5: [attachment=15372:IMG-1475.JPG]
Week 6: [attachment=15373:IMG-4569.jpg]
Week 7: [attachment=15374:IMG-4758.jpg]

• BleepingBleepers likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 13 2023 - 8:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry, but don’t lose heart. Plenty of species are still flying.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 13 2023 - 3:46 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Note: Reading this back I realize that it got a little long for an obituary and sounds a tad overdramatic so sorry in advance. I'm not going to change it since this is less of an actual journal and more of a funeral/obituary for me—only since she was my first queen ant. That being said feel free to read the following post if you want to.

Seven weeks ago I caught my first queen ant who I put in a test tube setup and have been doing weekly checkups on ever since. Last week, I saw pupae for the first time as well as many larvae and eggs. This week, I checked up on her hoping to see her first workers—who I found eating her corpse. I know that for some long time ant keepers here this is probably not a huge deal and you probably have lost countless queens in the past, however, since she was my first queen, I would like to make this post to remember her and to recount her journey.

August of last year was when I first became interested in ants, and over the winter I began considering catching a queen in the coming summer. I didn’t have any test tubes, but a science teacher, who I really like, actually lent one for me to use. At the time, I still didn’t even know if I would want to raise a queen or if I could even catch one, but either way I was still interested in ants and began to pay more attention to the ants I see every day. One particular day, I was looking at some random ant workers when one of them caught my eye. She was the same size as the workers nearby, and I almost missed her, however, I noticed that she had slightly different proportions so I decided to capture her. At this point I was pretty clueless on how to find and identify queen ants, so this happening was just pure luck. Fortunately, I did catch her and put her in my test tube with some water and sand.

A week later, I checked up on her to find a very neat egg pile. At this point, I was stoked and posted on here for help identifying her—to which I learned she was Nylanderia Flavipes. After that, I began researching the species where I stumbled across ANTdrew’s Nylanderia notebook along with other peoples Nylanderia journals which made me even more excited to keep them. As the weeks went by, she laid more and more eggs which began developing into larvae and eventually pupae. She also used the sand that was in her test tube to absorb some of the water and eventually to make a founding chamber against the cotton ball. Unfortunately, this week when I checked up on her, I found that she had died. I don’t know if it was the workers that killed her or maybe she just died and they ate her? But either way I was quite saddened by this loss and wanted to pay my last respects. As for the nanitics and brood, I decided to freeze them instead of letting them starve, although it was still a little hard for me to euthanize the first ant workers I ever had.

Sorry again if all of this sounds a little dramatic/exaggerated, but thank you for anyone who did read all this, I hope that my first queen is flying high right now (though she might need to find her old wings).

Week 0: IMG-5710.jpg
Week 1: IMG-0981.jpg
Week 2: IMG-4203.jpg
Week 3: IMG-4332.jpg
Week 4: IMG-1313.jpg
Week 5: IMG-1475.JPG
Week 6: IMG-4569.jpg
Week 7: IMG-4758.jpg

worker was feeding on her dead corpse. Happened to me when one queen in my 8 queen colony died. I think the sand may of been your problem here. For some reason flavipes will die if there is any mold at all. My guess is one of the eggs molded and she passed. These also were my first official queens and the same thing happened to me. Built a founding chamber, A bit of mold showed up, and boom one queen dead.

#4 Offline Voidley - Posted July 18 2023 - 6:45 PM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC
worker was feeding on her dead corpse. Happened to me when one queen in my 8 queen colony died. I think the sand may of been your problem here. For some reason flavipes will die if there is any mold at all. My guess is one of the eggs molded and she passed. These also were my first official queens and the same thing happened to me. Built a founding chamber, A bit of mold showed up, and boom one queen dead.

Sorry to hear that you also experienced the loss of a queen ant under similar circumstances. That's good to know though and I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

Edited by Voidley, July 18 2023 - 6:46 PM.

#5 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 18 2023 - 8:10 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Oh sorry to hear about your lost and first attempt too.

I'd be saddened too if my first colony had a bad ending like that. Personally, I'd be discourage ESPECIALLY if I couldn't figure out how it happened. I hope you gather some more info and give it another attempt. It's always nice to have keepers that care so much for the creatures they have.

Awaiting a future journal from you! It'll be exciting! (y)

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users