• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

heating cable issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kmoore79 - Posted September 4 2021 - 5:03 PM

kmoore79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHaonver, IN

Hello everyone, so far I have purchased two 11 foot heating cables from zoo-med, and the last 3 feet of both cables only get warm. Has anyone had an issue with this, or did I just happen to purchase two defected cables, from two separate shops? I have small heating pads, but it isn't as easy to route them for multiple formicarium's. I don't wanna have to buy a bunch of cables, or a may just buy the 25 foot one they sell.

#2 Offline m99 - Posted September 4 2021 - 6:05 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

I believe it's designed for only the last few feet to get warm—the rest is just cord. Not sure how much longer the 25 foot heating zone usually is

• kmoore79 likes this

#3 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted September 4 2021 - 6:29 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Your cables aren't defected at all; only the last 3 feet get warm. 

• KadinB and kmoore79 like this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 5 2021 - 3:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There should be a black mark on the cable that indicates where the heating begins on the cable.
  • kmoore79 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline kmoore79 - Posted September 5 2021 - 3:56 PM

kmoore79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHaonver, IN

Thank you everyone. Zoo-med says that a 12' cable has a warm side and cold side. The first 6 feet coming from the wall is cold to prevent wall fires, and the last 6 feet is warm. I think they should make a cable for us "ant keepers" that a 12' cable should have at least 9 feet of warm, but that's just wishful thinking.

• PetsNotPests likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users