• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lillyrose's Tapinoma sessile journal

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 22 2021 - 12:44 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
3/22/2021

We have eggs and larvae but I don't know what protein they're feeding them. I'm going to try the moth since the old colony liked them ... but this colony is refusing all food except maybe the sunburst liquid stuff. I say maybe cause I still haven't seen them drink since the war.

http://imgur.com/a/uGJ5CE1

Originally I thought maybe she was eating them, but I guess she's cleaning them.

These guys continue to turn my hair white .. but I'm invested and can't bring myself to kick them out.

#42 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 25 2021 - 4:33 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
So I noticed one of the girls on the shelf today. I scooped her up and dropped her back in with a few choice words. They won't even grab food or explore but she had a chance to get past my Fluon!!! Ugh
Except
Ummm she reacted with a lot of panic... a lot

http://imgur.com/a/EeS4BSy

It started to occur to me that maybe she wasn't one of my girls. The little lady eventually took cover in the drinking feeder.

To my surprise one of the girls in the tube came out! She started following the first ones trail exactly and I realized she was smelling her out. She had murder on her mind.

I quickly pulled the ant out before my girl could find her. I put her outside. She probably won't survive since she may not be able to find her colony... but it was better than seeing another attack. I'm still traumatized by the first attack.

20210325_191449.jpg

After a while the girl went back to her tube.

Amused by her hunting I thought maybe that's why they haven't been eating any protein and dropped a couple of flightless fruit flies in there. Maybe they'll have a bloodlust inspired hunt.

I wish these girls would do something...

In other news I FINALLY found an acorn colony... but I'm not making their own journal cause I don't think I have a queen. I think I just get to watch them for a short time until they all die. This makes me very sad as I've been actively searching all acorns and lots of sticks since like November.

They're wonderful and I love them.
Screenshot_20210325-203254_Video Player.jpg
  • Wegmier likes this

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 25 2021 - 5:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Put up a blacklight at night in June, and you’ll see hundreds of their queens. More than you could ever imagine.
  • Lillyrose likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#44 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:35 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I've decided that I will be releasing the ordourous ants and the acorns ants when the weather is stable. I want to give them their best chance.

The acorn doesn't have a queen and my only hope is that they can smell out their own. The ordourous ants are just so much effort and they just aren't having a good time.
I'm not in it to torture anyone.

That will let me focus on my pavement ants, and my newly acquired Crematogaster queen.

Sadly I had to spray my shelf with a killer and I'm scared it will work well enough to kill my ants.

I'm releasing some so I can keep the others somewhere else for now. I am told there is no toxic fume, just an on touch thing.

#45 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:39 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Why did you spray your shelf with a killer? Do you have an infestation of ants or something?

#46 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted March 29 2021 - 9:40 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I'm surprised you can see them little things let alone take pictures, and I have glasses! which is good and bad at the same time. You could always buy from people near you (antdrew) because he catches all different types of queens. (sorry i put your real name)-->alee guy is probably gonna sell prenos so you could also get some of those.

Edit: I live in an apartment and they spray just a little on the baseboards and my ants had a fun time in the dark under my bed (they weren't affected). So yours should be fine.

Edited by KitsAntVa, March 29 2021 - 9:42 AM.

We don’t talk about that

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 29 2021 - 10:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Terro ant gel is more effective than any spray and a lot safer for your colonies. I use it on Tapinoma in my home all the time.
  • Lillyrose likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#48 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 30 2021 - 4:16 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
My husband uses the home defense spray. I had come up to find all three colonies covered in an attacking or forging colony.

I didn't take pictures. I just brushed off the boxes and sprayed the invaders.

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 30 2021 - 5:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s why I hate Tapinoma. I brook them no quarter in my home.
  • Lillyrose likes this

#50 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 30 2021 - 6:22 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

That’s why I hate Tapinoma. I brook them no quarter in my home.

There is a thin line between pet and pest and uninvited guests aren't allowed lol.

I'm going to clean the shelf and then lay some cloth before returning them. Hopefully that'll be enough.

#51 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 5 2021 - 11:05 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Well the ordourous ants are free at last. I have officially retired them and doubt I'll keep them again.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users