• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Taking a break from FC.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:31 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Hey guys,

Due to recent events I don't have to name, I think I'm going to have to take a break from FC for a while.  I use this site as a way to connect with other people who share a love for one of or possibly my favorite hobby, antkeeping.  This was a place that I could come to escape the stresses of the world and talk to other people who know what, "pogonomyrmex" means and read Cheeto's and ANTdrew's journals.  There have been a high increase in posts that are either toxic, or pointless and spammy.  This just isn't what I see FC as, and it makes me sad it has come to this.  While there are still some great people on here that haven't caused any issues what so ever, it has become too negative for me.  Hopefully this forum changes for the better.  

I will probably come back at some point, but I don't know when.  If anyone wants to contact me just PM me and I'll get an email.  I'll also probably be active on Discord, so you could contact me there as well.  I hope everyone can understand where I'm coming from and I hope certain individuals have better behavior.  

Life is about growth though; so hopefully things have a turn-around and it gets back to the state it was in when I joined.  I sincerely hope everyone is doing well and I hope your colonies prosper.  

-Devi

Edited by Devi, February 9 2021 - 6:35 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 5 others like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 9 2021 - 8:42 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
:bye:

Edited by TennesseeAnts, February 9 2021 - 8:43 PM.

• gs5248 likes this

#3 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 9 2021 - 9:29 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I hope you come back soon.  :bye:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted February 10 2021 - 6:31 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I wish you well. Times sure are fraught now. I hope you’re able to tune out the chaos and find the calm. Come back soon.

• ANTdrew likes this

#5 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 10 2021 - 6:55 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Sometimes I wonder where all the toxicity hides on this forum.
Maybe the threads in question just fly under my radar but I see 5x more talking about toxicity than examples of it.

This forum is probably the nicest place on the internet I've ever seen.
I'd guess it's some personal stuff that I'm not involved in
  • BugFinder, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

#6 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted February 10 2021 - 7:22 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

bye

:bye:

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 10 2021 - 7:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It's a shame that this had to happen. I hope you have a good break, though.

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted February 10 2021 - 9:09 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Farewell, we will be waiting for you when you return!

• BugFinder likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#9 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 10 2021 - 9:55 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

:yes:  (y)  :D  :ok:  bye(these emotes are oddly satisfying)come back soon!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#10 Offline Syber_ant - Posted February 10 2021 - 10:09 AM

Syber_ant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBrentwood california

:yes:  (y)  :D  :ok:  bye(these emotes are oddly satisfying)come back soon!

lol

#11 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted February 10 2021 - 10:50 AM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California

Sometimes I wonder where all the toxicity hides on this forum.
Maybe the threads in question just fly under my radar but I see 5x more talking about toxicity than examples of it.

This forum is probably the nicest place on the internet I've ever seen.
I'd guess it's some personal stuff that I'm not involved in

^ I'm new here and this has been my experience.  I've seen some of the trolling but take it as par for the course.  I hope you don't stay away too long Devi, I've really enjoyed reading your posts, they are among the most constructive and informative on these boards.  It's understandable that you'd want a break, conflict is exhausting.

This seems like as good a time as any to share my thoughts on trolly behavior: as you probably know, young men driving the toxicity are usually working through some pretty tough issues of their own (in isolation, now more than ever) and the internet provides a safe place of anonymity to pass along their hurt.  If they have an interest in formiculture I believe they are part of this community - with their worst impulses (ideally) corrected kindly or ignored and their best behavior encouraged.  In the end it will be hobbies and interests, community, and acceptance that allow a once-troll to grow and reckon with their anger.  I know because I was one of them, no one would have appreciated my 14 year old self on their message board! ...getting off my soapbox before I fall off

• ConcordAntman, OhNoNotAgain, AntaholicAnonymous and 3 others like this

#12 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 10 2021 - 11:26 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I agree Mystic.

No matter which direction you turn in life there's always gonna be someone saying stuff that could offend you.

You'll never control what people say but you can control how much value you place on their words and how you respond.
There are a lot of people here like ANTdrew who's opinions I value and take to heart but a random guy calling me dumb doesn't effect me one way or another.
  • BugFinder, ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#13 Offline FSTP - Posted February 10 2021 - 11:44 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

POPULAR

Seems kind of like an over reaction. Toxicity is only toxic if you let it effect you imo. While certain events on the forum were bad and annoying. They're just that, an annoyance. Not something to dwell on and fret about. It happened, ok, now move on. If anything I want to stay to insure that FC stays a great community to discuss ants and make friends. When any community develops and gets to a certain size its going to have undesirable people eventually join and do inappropriate things. Best you can so is get rid of them when they cross the line and then move on.  

Edited by FSTP, February 10 2021 - 11:44 AM.

• Zeiss, BugFinder, TennesseeAnts and 12 others like this

#14 Offline Barristan - Posted February 10 2021 - 12:19 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

This kind of stuff happens from time to time in almost every forum after reaching quite some size, regardless of the topic, nothing to worry about.

• AntaholicAnonymous and MinigunL5 like this

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 11 2021 - 4:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Seems kind of like an over reaction. Toxicity is only toxic if you let it effect you imo. While certain events on the forum were bad and annoying. They're just that, an annoyance. Not something to dwell on and fret about. It happened, ok, now move on. If anything I want to stay to insure that FC stays a great community to discuss ants and make friends. When any community develops and gets to a certain size its going to have undesirable people eventually join and do inappropriate things. Best you can so is get rid of them when they cross the line and then move on.  

This kind of stuff happens from time to time in almost every forum after reaching quite some size, regardless of the topic, nothing to worry about.

If it wasn't clear to you guys in Devi's post, there are some personal issues as well.

• Devi likes this

#16 Offline Devi - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:35 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

If it wasn't clear to you guys in Devi's post, there are some personal issues as well.

Yeah, I probably could've worded that a bit better instead of venting my stress.   :whistle:

Let me try again:

I'm super busy right now and have A LOT going on right now, so I won't be able to be on that much anyway.  Especially after Vendayn's recent offense I was just kinda sad and also stressed as I mentioned above, so I vented a lot in my first post.  

Just know I will be on less but should be able to get some important things done in the next week or so so I will probably be able to be back on more frequently then.  Sorry if I over reacted. 

• BADANT and MinigunL5 like this

#17 Offline Devi - Posted March 31 2021 - 9:07 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to come back and will be on a lot more frequently now.  I'm a lot less busy now and am in a better state of mind so I am happy about that.  As a quick update - the Pogonomyrmex aren't doing the best, but more on that later.  

-Devi

Edited by Devi, March 31 2021 - 9:07 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, BADANT and MinigunL5 like this

#18 Offline Paul_M - Posted March 31 2021 - 10:15 AM

Paul_M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I have decided to come back and will be on a lot more frequently now.  I'm a lot less busy now and am in a better state of mind so I am happy about that.  As a quick update - the Pogonomyrmex aren't doing the best, but more on that later.  

-Devi

Ey! He's back! 

#19 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 31 2021 - 10:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome back, man!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 31 2021 - 10:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Welcome back!

• Antkeeper01 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users