• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is calcium sand okay for ants.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:15 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Is calcium sand okay for ants?

#2 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:27 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

No. I remember being warned against it back when I was starting out. A couple of my friends lost colonies to it. 

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t see why not.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:48 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Many people have said that calcium sand is bad for reptiles because they get impacted. While this would not effect ants, people on other ant forums seem to say that calciumsand is also bad for ants.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Better stick to normal sand then.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:29 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Yeah.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:34 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Many people have said that calcium sand is bad for reptiles because they get impacted. While this would not effect ants, people on other ant forums seem to say that calciumsand is also bad for ants.

It was meant to prevent impaction by being able to be digested, but from what I heard it doesn't actually work and reptiles still end up impacted.

• Devi likes this

#8 Offline Devi - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:40 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

It was meant to prevent impaction by being able to be digested, but from what I heard it doesn't actually work and reptiles still end up impacted.

Generally, any loose substrate should be avoided for all reptiles; even if the company says otherwise.  Loose substrate can cause impaction and should always be avoided in my opinion.  

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 9 2021 - 6:56 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Generally, any loose substrate should be avoided for all reptiles; even if the company says otherwise.  Loose substrate can cause impaction and should always be avoided in my opinion.  

Yeah that was kind of my point. It doesn't actually work and should be avoided. I don't know if it would have any sort of effect on ants though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users