• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about hydrostone, grout

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jabbado - Posted February 8 2021 - 1:08 PM

jabbado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi everyone. I'm new to ant keeping. Recently I've started making small plaster nests more for practice at the moment. However I'd like to start using either hydrostone or grout as they are stronger and more durable than PoP. But I have a couple of questions.

First, both hydrostone and grout contain portland cement. So how come these products are safe for ants when portland cement has a high alkalinity when freshly set? I mean, I used to make portland cement based caves etc for my fish tank. You can't just throw some freshly cast cement into an aquarium as it will increase the pH of the water. I'd put the objects into the toilet cistern for several weeks to reduce the alkalinity of them (the constant flushing works a treat, without wasting water). I haven't seen mention in nest tutorials of "aging" a new grout nest.

Second, reading the safety data sheet for Hydro-stone it seems to be simply a mix of ~95% plaster and ~5% portland cement. I haven't come across actual hydro-stone at the local hardware stores but I do have those two ingredients. So has anyone tried mixing their own by adding a small amount of portland cement to plaster?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 2:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not heard anyone on here making their own. However, there is some debate as to the safety of hydrostone when freshly cast. Generally, it is let to off-gas for a week or so, however, some people have had no probems putting ants in after it dries. Now, I'm not sure what the exact percentage of portland cement is in hydrostone, I imagine it is of course not pure, and as such the amount is small enough that it does not cause damage. Rather similar to there being cyanide in apple seeds, however, if we ate an apple seed, we wouldn't just drop dead--its a proportionally small amount.

• Canadant and Ants_Dakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline steelplant - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:28 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I make my nests from Portland cement and vermiculite. In the early days I put a Lasius umbratus queen in one only a couple of days after pouring it. She was fine, though I would never do that again. But it should be fine after curing for a week or two. My mix is 1:1 cement: vermiculite by volume.

You're right to be cautious though as ants are so sensitive. Some people put a few (often wild) workers in for a while to test the nest safety before putting the queen/colony in.

I look forward to seeing what you make.

#4 Offline jabbado - Posted February 9 2021 - 12:12 PM

jabbado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks for the answers.

I make my nests from Portland cement and vermiculite

That sounds like a plan. They'd be sturdy nests and cheap . Do you crush the vermiculite up into smaller particles or doesn't it matter?

Edited by jabbado, February 9 2021 - 12:12 PM.

#5 Offline steelplant - Posted February 9 2021 - 2:46 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I've tried both but only use fine grade now. It's ready to sculpt after a few days and is a beauty to carve.
  • jabbado likes this

#6 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 9 2021 - 3:28 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Hi everyone. I'm new to ant keeping. Recently I've started making small plaster nests more for practice at the moment. However I'd like to start using either hydrostone or grout as they are stronger and more durable than PoP. But I have a couple of questions.

First, both hydrostone and grout contain portland cement. So how come these products are safe for ants when portland cement has a high alkalinity when freshly set? I mean, I used to make portland cement based caves etc for my fish tank. You can't just throw some freshly cast cement into an aquarium as it will increase the pH of the water. I'd put the objects into the toilet cistern for several weeks to reduce the alkalinity of them (the constant flushing works a treat, without wasting water). I haven't seen mention in nest tutorials of "aging" a new grout nest.

Second, reading the safety data sheet for Hydro-stone it seems to be simply a mix of ~95% plaster and ~5% portland cement. I haven't come across actual hydro-stone at the local hardware stores but I do have those two ingredients. So has anyone tried mixing their own by adding a small amount of portland cement to plaster?

There is a quite amount of people have done that. Yes you just mix plaster of paris with portland cement(19:1). If you check page 4 of 52000000097 SDS(that has 95% POP and 5% portland cement), it says that the ph level of the material is 8-10, it is neutral enough to keep the ants in. On a newer SDS(52000000012, Hydro-Stone® ME Special Gypsum Cement) ph level is on neutral, it does not uses portland cement, but has more crystalline silica, and titanium dioxide that compensates it. You might try that but I've never seen anyone using that so I'm not sure it will work out.
  • mmcguffi and jabbado like this

#7 Offline mmcguffi - Posted February 9 2021 - 4:14 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You're right to be cautious though as ants are so sensitive. Some people put a few (often wild) workers in for a while to test the nest safety before putting the queen/colony in.

I recently did this with name-brand hydrostone (from the Plaster Guys on ebay), and some Atta texana workers I put in the formicarium did NOT like it. They looked like they were drunk and kept flipping onto their backs for hours at a time. When I aired it out they would perk up, so it seems it may have been some off-gassing or something.

I did not let this cure though (letting it sit for a while), so I just hydrated some that I let sit for about a week. I'm unclear as to how this would change anything, but some people floated this as a possible solution. Ill eventually be updating here (https://www.formicul...-other-problem/) if you want to follow along

• jabbado likes this

#8 Offline jabbado - Posted February 9 2021 - 4:20 PM

jabbado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Awesome, thanks everyone. I think I might try both the cement/vermiculite and "diy hydrostone" methods and see which one I prefer.
  • mmcguffi and AleeGuy like this

#9 Offline mmcguffi - Posted February 9 2021 - 4:22 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I know Drew (owner of the site: dspdrew) has done some experiments with pure portland cement. You might try searching for some of his threads on this to see if there is relevant info there too

#10 Offline steelplant - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:48 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
The cement/verm mix wants to be quite thick, not runny, aim for a porridge like consistency. Otherwise the verm will want to float to the top. Can be unmoulded after 24 hours at room temperature. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

Edit: the 1:1 ratio is by volume not weight

Edited by steelplant, February 11 2021 - 6:27 AM.

#11 Offline jabbado - Posted February 11 2021 - 2:56 PM

jabbado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

There is a quite amount of people have done that. Yes you just mix plaster of paris with portland cement(19:1).

Searched the forums for using such a mix but found nothing. I tried it without much success.

I made a small batch with 5% Portland cement. First I tried mixing it into water the same as I do with plain PoP. At first it seemed a lot thinner than normal, but started getting thicker fairly quickly. I poured it into a container to set. But apart from the slight grey color and the faster setting time I can't see any difference in the strength compared to straight PoP.

So I decided to try following USG's Hydro-Stone mixing guide: Use consistency of 32 (32 parts water to 100 parts Hydro-Stone). As I was weighing out the mix on a 0.01g scale I realised how much plaster vs water there was and it just didn't look like there'd be enought water to thin/hydrate the entire mix. And I was right. Ended up with a big lump of unstirrable crap.

So I don't know, there's something "magic" about the Hydrostones/hydrocals that I just don't understand. Looks like I may have to try steelplant's method. Maybe even using coco peat instead of vermiculite.

#12 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 11 2021 - 5:26 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

There is a quite amount of people have done that. Yes you just mix plaster of paris with portland cement(19:1).

Searched the forums for using such a mix but found nothing. I tried it without much success.

I made a small batch with 5% Portland cement. First I tried mixing it into water the same as I do with plain PoP. At first it seemed a lot thinner than normal, but started getting thicker fairly quickly. I poured it into a container to set. But apart from the slight grey color and the faster setting time I can't see any difference in the strength compared to straight PoP.

So I decided to try following USG's Hydro-Stone mixing guide: Use consistency of 32 (32 parts water to 100 parts Hydro-Stone). As I was weighing out the mix on a 0.01g scale I realised how much plaster vs water there was and it just didn't look like there'd be enought water to thin/hydrate the entire mix. And I was right. Ended up with a big lump of unstirrable crap.

So I don't know, there's something "magic" about the Hydrostones/hydrocals that I just don't understand. Looks like I may have to try steelplant's method. Maybe even using coco peat instead of vermiculite.

Hydrostone is available online. I heard Hydrocal is better though.

#13 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:06 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Well, no. The main difference between hydrostone and hydrocal is that hydrocal's compressive strength is 6,000 psi while hydrostone is 10,000 so I don't see a reason why would hydrocal be better. Do you know why the person who you heard that from said why it's better?

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Possibly the hydrostone is more dense, and thus absorbs less water? Not sure, but that would be my guess as to a reason why it could be better.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 11 2021 - 8:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Also, in regards to mixing, I have found that the recommended 3-1 mixture is generally pretty good. Not sure what issue you are having, but generally, I don't really measure anymore, and simply add water until the consistency is the same as that of the 3-1 ratio, which is like that of a thick pudding.

#16 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted February 18 2021 - 3:43 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Well, no. The main difference between hydrostone and hydrocal is that hydrocal's compressive strength is 6,000 psi while hydrostone is 10,000 so I don't see a reason why would hydrocal be better. Do you know why the person who you heard that from said why it's better?

Sorry I meant ultracal 30. The reason is because it doesn't expand as much so it's easier to remove from containers where it's casted in. Although hydrostone is apparently harder but don't think it's a big difference.

Edited by MinigunL5, February 18 2021 - 3:44 PM.

#17 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 18 2021 - 3:56 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Also, in regards to mixing, I have found that the recommended 3-1 mixture is generally pretty good. Not sure what issue you are having, but generally, I don't really measure anymore, and simply add water until the consistency is the same as that of the 3-1 ratio, which is like that of a thick pudding.

I've hard that you add hydrostone to water instead of water to hydrostone, maybe that's what they did wrong?

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#18 Offline AleeGuy - Posted February 18 2021 - 3:58 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Sorry I meant ultracal 30. The reason is because it doesn't expand as much so it's easier to remove from containers where it's casted in. Although hydrostone groutis apparently harder but don't think it's a big difference.
not a big difference. Ultracal 30 compressive strength is 6500 psi and ph level is 11-13 so it is more alkaline.

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 18 2021 - 4:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I've hard that you add hydrostone to water instead of water to hydrostone, maybe that's what they did wrong?

I've done it both ways without noticeable difference.

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 18 2021 - 4:31 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I recently did this with name-brand hydrostone (from the Plaster Guys on ebay), and some Atta texana workers I put in the formicarium did NOT like it. They looked like they were drunk and kept flipping onto their backs for hours at a time. When I aired it out they would perk up, so it seems it may have been some off-gassing or something.

I did not let this cure though (letting it sit for a while), so I just hydrated some that I let sit for about a week. I'm unclear as to how this would change anything, but some people floated this as a possible solution. Ill eventually be updating here (https://www.formicul...-other-problem/) if you want to follow along

that happens i believe when the fumes from the hydrostone are still present in the formicarium. i have had this happen before. hydrostone is fine, the fumes are not.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users