• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can you add more queen to a mature Pheidole Colony.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 5 2021 - 9:46 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I will soon be receiving a 100+ worker Pheidole Californica. .It only has one queen, but if I somehow managed to catch another queen of the species, would the mature colony accept another queen?

#2 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted February 6 2021 - 7:06 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

I will soon be receiving a 100+ worker Pheidole Californica. .It only has one queen, but if I somehow managed to catch another queen of the species, would the mature colony accept another queen?

Depends on if P. californica is polygynous, which I do not think they are. They will end up killing one or both of the queens if you were to introduce one.

#3 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 6 2021 - 8:52 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

well, 100 workers isn't exactly a mature colony, and if they are polygynous, yes! so basically what Antkeeer014 said

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 6 2021 - 10:19 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I am pretty sure they are polygynous. I have seen colonies that had multiple queens. Though maybe it is possible I identified them wrong.

#5 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted February 6 2021 - 7:40 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I am pretty sure they are polygynous. I have seen colonies that had multiple queens. Though maybe it is possible I identified them wrong.

If P. californica is poly, that would be news to me. I assumed they were mono/pleo as 99.9% of the US pheidole aren’t truly poly. I’m not entirely familiar with the individual behaviors of west coast pheidole (I’m east coast) so I’m not exactly the most qualified person to tell you .

Edited by Antkeeper014, February 6 2021 - 7:40 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#6 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted February 6 2021 - 7:49 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
After looking at another journal it appears that P. californica is polygenous, or at the very least certain populations are. As long as you know the consequences, I’d say go ahead and try.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted February 6 2021 - 8:58 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

P. california are some of the most polygynous Pheidole in the US. They very well might accept new queens. Only way to know for sure is to try it. To be safe, introduce a queen to a single worker. If the worker is friendly, the queen will likely be accepted, if they fight then likely not.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted February 6 2021 - 10:10 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

If I ever get another Pheidole Californica colony, I will be sure to try it.

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted February 7 2021 - 10:57 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I can confirm P. californica is most certainly polygonus in some areas, I kept a 4 queen (now 1 queen colony because most of the colony died out for some reason  :( ) colony where the queens had no aggression with each other and were friendly, even.

Edited by TechAnt, February 7 2021 - 10:58 AM.

• Antkeeper014 likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users