• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Id confirmation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted November 4 2016 - 11:59 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Hello,

Yesterday (11/4) I went to walk the dog and thought I might as well bring my anting equipment since I walk him on the same bike path I found all my other queens. Well I was lucky enough to dig up two more queens! Very happy about this since I had just lost some of my queens as you may or may not have known. Its pretty neat, as it seems there are still queens making new claustral chambers and such as these the queens I managed to catch were not very deep (perhaps 2-3" down) and their claustral overburden was rather fresh and moist looking. Which to me seemed to indicate rather recent digging activity. 

Here is a picture of each queen. I'm pretty sure they're Dorymyrmex bicolor as they look similar my other singular D. bicolor that was identified for me. However its hard for me to tell but they seem like they might be the slightest bit larger. Could this just be a size variation within the species? 

Queen ant #1

new%20queen%202%20114_zps4yykzcui.jpg

Queen ant #2

New%20queen114_zpsbjns0qan.jpg

Kind regards,

Jess

P.S. I think on future anting endeavors I shall always bring my dog Winston. It seemed less people bothered me asking if I was ok or needed help as I assume they thought I was perhaps picking up his doggy droppings  :D .

Edited by FSTP, November 5 2016 - 12:01 AM.

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 5 2016 - 5:45 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Looks like Myrmecocystus, but there is no measurement or location (which needs to be included in every ID post)..

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:14 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

True, it does look like Myrmecocystus spp. Give us the location, and we'll be able to confirm.

:>

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 7:22 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Oh no, I'm so sorry I just realized I broke about every rule for posting in this forum! My apologies. 

The location is Central Valley California Fresno, and size is about 7mm. I collected it off of a bike trail which has a very sandy clayish dirt with lots of small rocks and gravel. Its very hard to dig into. With very sparse vegetation, just a few small bushes here and there with a tree seemingly randomly placed I'm assuming by the city. But for the most part pretty bare. Would a picture of where I collected them help?

Oh geese. If they turn out to be a species within Myrmecocystus I'm going to lose my mind. That is one of my "grail" ants.

Edited by FSTP, November 5 2016 - 8:12 AM.

#5 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 8:26 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Oh no, I'm so sorry I just realized I broke about every rule for posting in this forum! My apologies.

The location is Central Valley California Fresno, and size is about 7mm. I collected it off of a bike trail which has a very sandy clayish dirt with lots of small rocks and gravel. Its very hard to dig into. With very sparse vegetation, just a few small bushes here and there with a tree seemingly randomly placed I'm assuming by the city. But for the most part pretty bare. Would a picture of where I collected them help?

Oh geese. If they turn out to be a species within Myrmecocystus I'm going to lose my mind. That is one of my "grail" ants.

Ya looks and seems like Myrmecocystus so jealous

YJK

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 12:42 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

What traits is this any displaying that suggests its in the genus Myrmecocystus ? I'd just like to know so I can better understand what to look for.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2016 - 1:04 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dorymyrmex insanus.

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 2:07 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Dorymyrmex insanus.

LOL, that's what I thought. Thanks guys for getting my hopes up  :lol:

#9 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:05 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Ahh. The head did look kinda dolichoderine to me. The eyes and mandibles made me think Myrmecocystus, although I probably should have been able to see the palps in the second picture. I guess this kinda goes to show the importance of covering different angles when making an ID request. :P

Edited by Batspiderfish, November 5 2016 - 6:05 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:57 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Aside from the details of the pictures (as much as you can see anyway), here's my line of thinking.

1. If that was a Myrmecocystus, it would have to be something in the Eremnocystus subgenus based on the size and color.

2. The habitat in that area is grasslands and foothills. The only Myrmecocystus I ever see or hear about in those habitats here in CA, are M. testaceus, M. mimicus, and M. wheeleri. Neither of those are in the Eremnocystus subgenus.

3. I'm not familiar with any Myrmecocystus that would be flying right now. Dorymyrmex insanus on the other hand, flies almost year-round, every time it rains and it's not too cold afterwards.

BTW, If any of the experts (gcsnelling  :D ) know of anymore species that regularly reside in those habitats (non-desert) here in CA, I'd be interested to know what they are.

Edited by dspdrew, November 5 2016 - 10:26 PM.

• Batspiderfish likes this

#11 Offline Enderz - Posted November 5 2016 - 7:02 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Aside from the details of the pictures (as much as you can see anyway), here's my line of thinking.

1. If that was a Myrmecocystus, it would have to be something in the Eremnocystus subgenus based on the size and color.

1. The habitat in that area is grasslands and foothills. The only Myrmecocystus I ever see or hear about in those habitats here in CA, are M. testaceus, M. mimicus, and M. wheeleri. Neither of those are in the Eremnocystus subgenus.

2. I'm not familiar with any Myrmecocystus that would be flying right now. Dorymyrmex insanus on the other hand, flies almost year-round, every time it rains and it's not too cold afterwards.

BTW, If any of the experts (gcsnelling  :D ) know of anymore species that regularly reside in those habitats (non-desert) here in CA, I'd be interested to know what they are.

drew you 1. 1. 2.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#12 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 5 2016 - 8:25 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Dorymyrmex insanus.

LOL, that's what I thought. Thanks guys for getting my hopes up  :lol:

Hue hue hue, I felt it resembled Doromyrmex, but someone told me MYRMECOCYSTUSPeople these days...

I just had to use text changes

Edited by Solenoqueen, November 5 2016 - 8:26 PM.

:>

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2016 - 10:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

1. The habitat in that area is grasslands and foothills. The only Myrmecocystus I ever see or hear about in those habitats here in CA, are M. testaceus, M. mimicus, and M. wheeleri. Neither of those are in the Eremnocystus subgenus.

2. I'm not familiar with any Myrmecocystus that would be flying right now. Dorymyrmex insanus on the other hand, flies almost year-round, every time it rains and it's not too cold afterwards.

drew you 1. 1. 2.

Haha oops. Too much moving stuff around in my post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users