• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Want to buy lasius niger in new york and will pay shipping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max0606 - Posted March 14 2021 - 4:57 PM

Max0606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm in brooklyn new york and looking for Tetramorium immigrans. I would like the ants shipped and ill pay for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Max0606, March 14 2021 - 5:08 PM.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 14 2021 - 5:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

L. niger is very rare in the US--its only introduced in some areas. You are more likely to find L. neoniger, L. americanus, or L. brevicornis. On Long Island you also have the introduced L. emarginatus. So if you see anyone selling L. niger in the Americas, chances are they are mistaken on it's ID, or they got it illegally(or very rarely legally) imported from Europe.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Max0606 - Posted March 14 2021 - 5:04 PM

Max0606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

L. niger is very rare in the US--its only introduced in some areas. You are more likely to find L. neoniger, L. americanus, or L. brevicornis. On Long Island you also have the introduced L. emarginatus. So if you see anyone selling L. niger in the Americas, chances are they are mistaken on it's ID, or they got it illegally(or very rarely legally) imported from Europe.

ah thanks. what's a good beginner species that's more common?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 14 2021 - 5:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The other Lasius species I mentioned are good beginner species, albeit slow growing.  A better faster growing beginner species would be Tetramorium immigrans, the pavement ant, which is extremely common in urban and suburban areas on the East Coast.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Max0606 - Posted March 14 2021 - 5:08 PM

Max0606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

The other Lasius species I mentioned are good beginner species, albeit slow growing. A better faster growing beginner species would be Tetramorium immigrans, the pavement ant, which is extremely common in urban and suburban areas on the East Coast.

Ok thanks! Ill look for those instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users