• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Crematogaster sp (large species) (01-22-21)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 22 2021 - 2:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My other thread kinda got erased by me, but I actually got three queens. Two in August, and one in early September. I never posted anything about the third one, she kept her wings for a long time and never laid eggs. So, I figured she wasn't fertile. Well, eventually I got termite colonies and fed her a couple termites (in December). Now about a month later she has workers (three) and a bunch of brood. I gave her honey throughout the past couple months, but guess termites were the solution. This colony has actually grown rather quick compared to the first two queens in August who all took 2-3 months to get workers.

When I fed her termites, she took off her wings and pretty much laid eggs that same night, as I woke up and she had lots of eggs.

What is special about this species is the size. The queens are about a quarter of an inch long, the workers are bigger than most other Crematogaster workers and the colonies grow much faster than other species as well. So, hopefully I have luck with this colony...my last two got assassinated by Pheidole megacephala. I have them in a more ant proof "container" (they are in a test tube inside a tarheel formicarium, they can only explore the foraging area though as I blocked the nest entrance).

Hopefully one day they are successful enough to settle into the formicarium itself.

#2 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 22 2021 - 2:49 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

My other thread kinda got erased by me, but I actually got three queens. Two in August, and one in early September. I never posted anything about the third one, she kept her wings for a long time and never laid eggs. So, I figured she wasn't fertile. Well, eventually I got termite colonies and fed her a couple termites (in December). Now about a month later she has workers (three) and a bunch of brood. I gave her honey throughout the past couple months, but guess termites were the solution. This colony has actually grown rather quick compared to the first two queens in August who all took 2-3 months to get workers.

When I fed her termites, she took off her wings and pretty much laid eggs that same night, as I woke up and she had lots of eggs.

What is special about this species is the size. The queens are about a quarter of an inch long, the workers are bigger than most other Crematogaster workers and the colonies grow much faster than other species as well. So, hopefully I have luck with this colony...my last two got assassinated by Pheidole megacephala. I have them in a more ant proof "container" (they are in a test tube inside a tarheel formicarium, they can only explore the foraging area though as I blocked the nest entrance).

Hopefully one day they are successful enough to settle into the formicarium itself.

so lucky!!! hope it goes well!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 22 2021 - 4:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck, man. I’m starting up three new queens at the moment, but only one has laid eggs yet.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted January 25 2021 - 10:32 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think they are in hibernation mode, so I took them out of the foraging the area and put them in the closet where its dark. They aren't eating or laying eggs (though a tiny bit of honey, but not much). They won't even eat termites, so its pretty safe to say they are in winter mode, even though they've been kept warm. So, the next update won't be for a while.

Edited by Vendayn, January 25 2021 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 25 2021 - 10:56 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

It seems that a lot of ant species love termites regardless if they are arboreal or not. I hope these do good  :rolleyes: I did hear they be thicc queen like camponotus 

We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users