• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cap Backfires Camponotus Journal (combo platter)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 16 2021 - 2:22 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I um... may have made the mistake of not fully killing it the other day... Had to resort to drastic measures as the cricket was loose in the ant nest and couldn't find his way out.   So I had to use a pin vise drill to make a hole in the plastic screen/ lid, then when it went into that chamber, stab the crap out of it.  It was for sure dead then.   NEVER will I make that mistake again.   I was freaking out.  

Now, I see people using fruit flies and I have micro roaches I feed but they have trouble catching those.   Are flightless fruit flies a danger to the ants in any way?  That's what I'll be feeding largely to give them a hunting response when they move into their forever home (29 gallon setup) 

Flightless fruit flies could be the best feeder insect for many species.

• cap_backfire likes this

#22 Offline cap_backfire - Posted February 17 2021 - 10:25 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I am totally down for fruit flies.  Need something else to gobble them up as well as I don't think the ants will eat THAT many as of yet.   Maybe a small culture.   Thanks for the advice!   Everyone has been so helpful so far.  

#23 Offline cap_backfire - Posted March 19 2021 - 10:09 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Been awhile since I updated so.... Here's some quick info.   Also plan to post some pics later tonight when I'm at least at home.   

Colony A (Queen Lucy) is at around 70 workers now, among them 8 majors that I could identify at one time.   Moderate amount of eggs and pupae.   This colony DEMOLISHES all I feed them so I've increased feedings to 3 times a week instead of 2.   Same amounts, just more often.  

Colony B (Queen Ethel) still holding out on me, but have a few larva and he original 3 nanitics.   Still in a tube setup, with a 'portal' thing from AntsCanada, although I have never seen them in that tube or in their portal setup at all.   Some eggs present too.  

Colony C (Queen Schlepprock)   Seems like everything goes wrong with this queen.   Not that anything catostrophic happened but she definitely likes things dry.   She's moved herself and her meager brood/ 3 nanitics into a secondary tube, also in an AC test tube portal.   Hopefully next year her and Ethel will be doing much better.  Or over the spring.   

Like I said, gonna try to upload pics tonight so this is more "official"  

#24 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 1 2021 - 7:54 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Haven't updated in a WHILE.    Since my last update... 

Moved Colony B (Ethel, a Chromeiodes queen) into a tube and tub setup and she has moved into some rotten wood I put in there.  The piece she moved into seems to be just a little larger than herself.   I only saw her by moving a piece of bark that was directly over this piece of wood.   Seems to be doing well and her workers clear out any pieces of superworm I place inside.   
Colony C (Schlepprock, a Novaboreancis queen)  has 6 workers and continues to struggle.   She's in a double test tube/ test tube portal from AC and seems healthy but not very productive.  Upped her feedings as well and have seen more brood/ eggs.   Fingers crossed.   
Colony A (Lucy, a Discolor queen) has about 300 workers now (VERY rough estimate) and a few dozen majors to call her own.   She has had one escape from her old formicarium, and was caught and placed back into that formicarium.   Since her population explosion and me finishing her forever home (29 gallon tank formicarium) she struggled with getting into the tunnels I burrowed FOR her but has since settled in.   Roughly half of the colony has chosen to live UNDER these tunnels which are burrowed into black walnut wood (sealed for moisture resistance) and there are TONS of pupae and eggs.   Probably another 100 pupae at least.   They HAVE a garbage site inside the nest but also have a few thousand springtails in the setup to keep them company and help take care of trash collection, as I will never be able to get in there myself.   So far everything seems amazing with this colony and they DEVOUR insects and honey I put in but don't seem very interested in sugar water tubes I have for them.   Pics TONIGHT when I get home.   

To this growing (probably done growing unless I can somehow get my hands on Pogonomyrmex soon) collection I have since added Trachymyrmex to the mix and these ladies are easily my favorite colony.   They are in a tubs setup with a plaster bottom and a few inches of sand for them to burrow in.   I tricked them by placing the sand strategically around the edges of the tub so they build their tunnels and chambers up against the walls where I can view them.   So much fun to watch these busy girls do their farming.   I've added springtails which have exploded in number but seem to avoid the fungus plots.   That said, I want to get a few predatory mites to help manage their population.  I tried using a jumping spider  to maintain population control (still a spiderling) but he can't do it himself!   Still intend to get them some stick insect neighbors as they are both very docile species.   

ALSO added a Formica Subsicera queen that I caught myself along with about a dozen or so of her daughters.  She is also in a tube and portal setup with one honey water tube and one water tube.   In the portal she has substrate to burrow into and LOVEs this setup.   For some reason she has eggs in one test tube and pupae in the other... very strange.   She also has a respectable amount of brood so I may be moving them into the Discolor's old formica of rubber tubing and "pods" for their setup.  I would love to see them with more space since they are probably my most active colony.   

#25 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 1 2021 - 8:05 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I um... may have made the mistake of not fully killing it the other day... Had to resort to drastic measures as the cricket was loose in the ant nest and couldn't find his way out.   So I had to use a pin vise drill to make a hole in the plastic screen/ lid, then when it went into that chamber, stab the crap out of it.  It was for sure dead then.   NEVER will I make that mistake again.   I was freaking out.  

Now, I see people using fruit flies and I have micro roaches I feed but they have trouble catching those.   Are flightless fruit flies a danger to the ants in any way?  That's what I'll be feeding largely to give them a hunting response when they move into their forever home (29 gallon setup) 

no they are not

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#26 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 7 2021 - 9:35 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

update and note.... Flightless fruit flies can and do climb right over the two barriers I've tried... I have, on my discolor tank, a 1 inch powder/ alcohol barrier topped off with a vaseline barrier under the lip of the tank (29 gallon) which definitely keeps ants in but the fruit flies... not so much.   May resort to freezing them and putting them into a dish of some sort, as discolor are... NOT the best hunters.   So the Discolor, Queen Lucy, is doing great.   Tons of brood and ants are very active and patrol their home pretty extensively.   I feel like they're looking for a different place to nest but I've only made one area really hospitable to them as of now.   

Colony B is in a tub and tube setup and has all but disappeared.   It was a queen and ten workers who were doing well but pulling on the cotton.   Last I saw the queen she had burrowed into a bit of rotten wood I provided, but she barely fit in there.   Going to add a much larger piece tonight.   I don't see how they could have escaped but... stranger things have happened.  They aren't in any of the plants in the indoor greenouse they're in so... if they did escape they are GONE.   I didn't want to dig around to uncover them but didn't really see where they could have gone.   

Colony C is still in their test tube portal setup and seem to be doing better than they were.   8 workers and a nice pile of brood of all stages.  Eating well and taking care of their garbage (springtails help).   These gals seem like better hunters and I love seeing them go for different prey items (if you haven';t given your ants pinhead crickets yet, you owe it to yourself to do so.   Camponotus attack, the cricket jumps somewhere and the attacker looks around, totally confused.   It makes me laugh every time.   Eventually 2 or 3 ants will corner the cricket and it's over but until then... entertaining.  

Formica queen is doing VERY well.  I'm shocked at how fast she is!   Easily as fast as her daughters.   Not sure on how many eggs she has stashed but she has a good pupa pile in the sugar water tube for some reason.   At least a dozen.   Excited to move these girls into a more appropriate setup as soon as possible.   

The trachymyrmex colony is... maybe floundering.  I gave them a good amount of sand in their enclosure and they have moved much of their fungus into chambers they made in the sand, which I encouraged as they can help me give them correct humidity for the fungus as this was my biggest concern.   Watching these little gals lumber around with about a half of a steel cut oat is almost hilarious.   Going to change around their setup a little bit soon.  They still have the tub they came in and use it now as a feeding chamber and garbage port.   I'm debating pulling it out since they don't have much fungus in there at all now, or leaving it in but adding sand to that as well, in a much deeper amount.   Thoughts?   

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2021 - 10:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What brand of baby powder do you use?
Definitely pre-kill fruit flies to prevent trash mites. Freezing won’t be enough to do that.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 7 2021 - 11:34 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I just use Johnson and Johnson.   Freezing won't kill mites?   Oh right you guys flash boil them or something right?  

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 7 2021 - 12:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks. Yup, three seconds in boiling water.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#30 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 11:56 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

My Nova colony is down to just the queen.  Moved them into a SMALL tub and tubes setup a few weeks ago and now all I have is the queen.  I don't see how the workers might have escaped but there is no sign of them.  Moved the queen back into a test tube and feeding her/ hoping for the best.  Pretty sure she's doomed but we'll see.   I put some substrate and wood chips in with her so she feels more at home and she seems REALLY calm considering all I put her through.   Hoping she starts laying again soon.  If not I'll just keep her around as long as I can.  

#31 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 14 2021 - 12:12 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

My Nova colony is down to just the queen.  Moved them into a SMALL tub and tubes setup a few weeks ago and now all I have is the queen.  I don't see how the workers might have escaped but there is no sign of them.  Moved the queen back into a test tube and feeding her/ hoping for the best.  Pretty sure she's doomed but we'll see.   I put some substrate and wood chips in with her so she feels more at home and she seems REALLY calm considering all I put her through.   Hoping she starts laying again soon.  If not I'll just keep her around as long as I can.  

brood boost her with Camponotus callows from a wild colony!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#32 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 12:38 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Oh that's a good idea.  DO they also have to be the same specieS??? I'm not great at identifying species.  

#33 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 14 2021 - 4:54 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Oh that's a good idea. DO they also have to be the same specieS??? I'm not great at identifying species.

She may accept brood from another species but novaes are generally pretty recognizable.

#34 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 15 2021 - 6:06 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

The Novas and Chromies are more or less the same in size and shape so I gave her 3 Chromie brood-one larvae and 2 pupae.   hoping things go well.   Handling pupae was um... Stressful.  
My Chromie queen can't really spare more than that as she's still in the test tube but she has like 15 eggs and 5 other pupea and 3 larvae left so... I'm confident.  

#35 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 15 2021 - 6:08 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Oh that's a good idea. DO they also have to be the same specieS??? I'm not great at identifying species.

She may accept brood from another species but novaes are generally pretty recognizable.

They are but I've never seen them in the wild.   Granted I have only looked in my own neighborhood... 

#36 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:52 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So everyone seems to be doing great and gobbling food.  

Question:  The discolor have basically ignored a small dish of honey I added for them (it's a soda bottlecap), but last night ATTACKED a fair sized drop of honey I put near their nest entrance on a leaf.   I mean... they swarmed it.    ALSO, do Camponotus only send their smallest workers to the sugar?   Only the smallest girls went for it with gusto and the rest ignored it.   

ALSO:   Are majors not worth a damn?   They seem like elates, as they are largely useless.   Mine don't grab food, don't help subdue food that's still moving, they just seem to meander about like big idiots.   

Also spotted this queen last night and she sat for a good minute for me, so it was nice enough for her to check me out as I checked her out.   

Also, I've overused "also" in this post and I apologize.  

#37 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 27 2021 - 10:42 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I can't get good pics due to the poor choices I made when creating this formicarium (glue drippage on the inside chambers) but I assure you there are PILES of brood and they are hounding me for protein.   I didn't know I could feed them crushed seeds so that's going to be on the menu shortly.   Once the dinner bell goes off these girls set off a 4 alarm call with all hands on deck.   Been supplementing them with June Bugs which they LOVE.   
One odd thing I found was that they pull the food items under a kind of "canopy" of moss and process it there instead of hauling it into the nest.   Just a weird little note.   Going to change things up tonight so they have easier access to their nest entrance in the front.   

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#38 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 28 2021 - 11:08 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So... To describe my Discolor's setup is kind of a chore but they are in a wooden set of chambers and tunnels I have affixed to the glass of a 29 gallon tank.  The section they currently inhabit is 2 inches deep by 8 inches wide by 10 inches tall.   They mostly live in the bottom 2 inches square, but have moved some pupae out a little bit... so the bottom two inches by 4 inches.   Anyway, there is an access point at the top for a sugar water tube which they quickly filled in with extra sawdust I provided them to change their setup around as they desired... Well... I gave them two medium crickets last night which I THOUGHT were dead.  One was dead.  One was just kind of crippled... well, that one crawled into that top hole and into the nest, but not a part that they actually use... BEDLAM ensued.   It was CRAZY to watch them destroy this intruder and also really cool to watch them hunt and use the entirety of their nest instead of that bottom 4 inches.   I know when the current brood eclose there'll be plenty more girls to populate but I"m waiting not very patiently for that to happen.   

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#39 Offline cap_backfire - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:58 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

These spoiled girls now recognize the vibrational pattern of me sliding the lid aside so I can feed them.   As soon as I do it they come pouring out, checking out their food dishes, even if they aren't even full yet. Little spoiled turds!   Going to be giving them a full grown cricket tonight to see how long that lasts.  They are 100% more demanding now.   

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#40 Offline antgallery - Posted August 2 2021 - 9:59 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

So everyone seems to be doing great and gobbling food.  

Question:  The discolor have basically ignored a small dish of honey I added for them (it's a soda bottlecap), but last night ATTACKED a fair sized drop of honey I put near their nest entrance on a leaf.   I mean... they swarmed it.    ALSO, do Camponotus only send their smallest workers to the sugar?   Only the smallest girls went for it with gusto and the rest ignored it.   

ALSO:   Are majors not worth a damn?   They seem like elates, as they are largely useless.   Mine don't grab food, don't help subdue food that's still moving, they just seem to meander about like big idiots.   

Also spotted this queen last night and she sat for a good minute for me, so it was nice enough for her to check me out as I checked her out.   

Also, I've overused "also" in this post and I apologize.  

I'm a bit late on this but with Camponotus majors early on in the colony I find they usually don't do much. And the smaller workers are probably nanitics, they will be sent out since they are oldest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users