• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 21 2021 - 5:03 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Hello

I want to do journals for my babies but want to make sure to do it correctly.

Do I just make a thread for each colony?
Do I make one per colony or per type?
Do I just keep updating the same thread to keep the journal?
Is there a way to get notified when people comment?
I'm on mobile, what is the little check mark on comments mean? When I click it it turns to an x.

Do I need to use imgur to add pics?

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 21 2021 - 5:13 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Hello

I want to do journals for my babies but want to make sure to do it correctly.

Do I just make a thread for each colony? Or make a general journal for all of your species.
Do I make one per colony or per type? Whatever you want. Some people have journals specific to a certain genus or similar species.
Do I just keep updating the same thread to keep the journal? Yes. Otherwise you would be making a ton of threads and that would fill up the forum.
Is there a way to get notified when people comment? In notification settings and if you follow a topic.
I'm on mobile, what is the little check mark on comments mean? When I click it it turns to an x. The check mark is for liking someone's post.

Do I need to use imgur to add pics? On mobile I'm not sure if you really can upload pictures, but outside of it you can upload pics to the gallery on FC and then imbed them into your journal with posting. I use a different method where I hit "More Reply Options" and upload the file directly to this post. It is much faster. You then have to add the file into the post because it will be underneath the post waiting for you to do something with it.

I hope this helps.

• Lillyrose and antsriondel like this

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 21 2021 - 5:16 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

1.You can make one thread in the journal section for every ant you have, sorta an all around journal, Or make separate journals for each of your ants.

2.If you have something like the same species-ex. I made a lasius journal that included all of my lasius species, umbratus, neoniger, claviger.

3.You can keep the journal as long as formiculture is still online, But if people like your journal at least once a month updates should be done if not less sometimes. Mostly it depends on the ants your raising and the colony size-Bigger colony=more updates because less stress to the queen.

4. It depends on your email, formiculture has had problems with its email system so it may not work if you have a gmail or email I believe.

5.The little check means you like what that person is saying and they and everyone else can see it, if it turns into an x it means you liked it but if you press the x it unlikes it.

6. you don't need imgur, just do this.

(mobile version- scroll down until you see full version button under the australian topics)-click it and continue to whatever place you want to add pics- press the post option and press more reply options then it says add file, go to your pictures and choose one then press attach file, then click the add attachment to post type thing.

• ANTdrew and Lillyrose like this
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Lillyrose - Posted January 21 2021 - 5:29 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Thank you! Both of you

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 21 2021 - 6:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would do either one journal per species, or a collective journal. If you have multiple colonies of the same species, combine in them into the same journal, as it's just ardorous for you to make a journal for each colony, and it clogs up the forums as well. 

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 21 2021 - 10:58 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I sort of regret having so many journals for my ants. But also I wouldn't make a single journal to cover all my ants, either (that gets a little overwhelming for the reader).

I have a journal for all my Camponotus except C. fragilis. I wish I had lumped my Lios in with Tetramorium. I have honeypots and false honeypots in one journal (and the Lios... for no apparent reason).

I also put all the Pogonomyrmex together, as well as lumping Veromessors and Novomessors together.

So just my opinion, lumping by genus is one possibility.

• ANTdrew and Fatatoille like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 21 2021 - 11:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I lump mine by genus.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users