• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What tarantulas does FC want

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: What tarantulas does FC want (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Ts do you want

1. Tliltocatl albopilosus (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Cyriopagopus albostriatus/ Haplopelma minax (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Poecilotheria metallica (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

4. T blondi (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 5 2021 - 11:50 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

This is a continuation of my last post. My question is, what tarantulas would you like to be sold in the future. No guarantee that the t will be sold but just a general want and knowledge of what would sell quickly.

Edited by ZTYguy, January 15 2021 - 11:55 AM.

• Kaelwizard likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 5 2021 - 11:57 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Why did you need to make a new post if it's continuing off your last?

Look around arachnid specific places to see what's popular, that's probably your best bet.

• ZTYguy likes this

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:00 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I posted this second topic because of getting to people faster and also a way to keep these answers separate from the other post.

Sorry if it is annoying 

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:52 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I'd just suggest to make titles more detailed.

Mexican Red Knees are a pretty popular species for a lot of people.  Same with Pink Toes and Blue Bottles.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 6 2021 - 5:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well, Avicularia (pink toes) is my favorite genus and they sell pretty well. Caribena versicolor is a good one that can be sold for a fairly high price. If you can get your hands on Poecilotheria then those would sell pretty quick to experienced keepers. If you have any Tliltocatl ablopilosus (ex Brachypelma albopilosum) those would be a good one to sell to beginners. Psalmopoeus irminia is a beautiful T and would probably sell for a high price. Chromatopelma cyaenopubescens and Bracypelma hamorri as Zeiss said would be good ones.

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 6 2021 - 8:53 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Poecilotheria are usually huge, aggressive, fast, and have venom. I wouldn't recommend trying to breed them if you don't have lots and lots of tarantula experience. I foolishly got a pokie as my first T lol

If you are only selling here on Formiculture, I think you might have better success if you also start shop in Arachonoboards. After all, a huge part of the people there like arachnids, mostly tarantulas. :)

My YouTube channel :)

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:15 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Poecilotheria are usually huge, aggressive, fast, and have venom. I wouldn't recommend trying to breed them if you don't have lots and lots of tarantula experience. I foolishly got a pokie as my first T lol

If you are only selling here on Formiculture, I think you might have better success if you also start shop in Arachonoboards. After all, a huge part of the people there like arachnids, mostly tarantulas. :)

Arachnoboards is extremely toxic. I would recommend Tarantula Forum over AB. There are quite a few experienced keepers, no toxicity (many members are ex-AB who left because of how toxic it is), and people are just plain helpful.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 6 2021 - 9:16 AM.

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:20 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Arachnoboards is extremely toxic. I would recommend Tarantula Forum over AB. There are quite a few experienced keepers, no toxicity (many members are ex-AB who left because of how toxic it is), and people are just plain helpful.

In my opinion, Tarantula Forum is more toxic. They had a thread literally just for insulting AB members, I'm pretty sure. There were screenshots on Arachnoboards but I can't find it now. 

I've been a lurker on AB for years, and I joined back in 2019, and I haven't seen any toxicity there, idk lol

• Kaelwizard likes this

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 6 2021 - 9:24 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

In my opinion, Tarantula Forum is more toxic. They had a thread literally just for insulting AB members, I'm pretty sure. There were screenshots on Arachnoboards but I can't find it now. 

I've been a lurker on AB for years, and I joined back in 2019, and I haven't seen any toxicity there, idk lol

Must have been when I was inactive. I know they had strong feelings but that is a bit much. I may go back to AB with a different account, since something happened when I was younger and stupider.

I will say that people on TF are really biased about it, and I never was on AB for too long. Also, I think the thread was about AB being down and some members who also were there couldn't access it (a lot of sellers use both). I think some people started talking about how bad it is and that "TF is the place to be." I honestly don't know what happened to them on AB, but they mainly complain about "pretentious attitudes" and such.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 6 2021 - 9:33 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#10 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 6 2021 - 10:51 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I tried joining AB but was attacked due to my fascination with a certain species and I felt very pushed around so I did join the tarantula forum. Thanks for all your input. I will try and breed brachys and Avics. Oh and I have found a very knowledgeable shop and they sell pulchras so maybe you will see those in FC shortly.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Currently Keeping:

#11 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:19 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I tried joining AB but was attacked due to my fascination with a certain species and I felt very pushed around so I did join the tarantula forum. Thanks for all your input. I will try and breed brachys and Avics. Oh and I have found a very knowledgeable shop and they sell pulchras so maybe you will see those in FC shortly.

Oh ok... What was your username?

#12 Offline Jakerobs - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:36 PM

Jakerobs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUtah

Can I make a request? As someone who searches past threads regularly, and also who looks through current threads, could you (and anyone) please put a little more detail about the content of your thread in the thread title? This is especially for anyone searching about the topic in the future, as they will know exactly what it is about right away.  (y)

• Zeiss, DDD101DDD and Swirlysnowflake like this

#13 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:40 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Can I make a request? As someone who searches past threads regularly, and also who looks through current threads, could you (and anyone) please put a little more detail about the content of your thread in the thread title? This is especially for anyone searching about the topic in the future, as they will know exactly what it is about right away.  (y)

I agree... while making it non-specific may attract more people to click on it (to see what it is about) it is better to have the actual topic of the thread in the title. Makes it a lot easier.

• ZTYguy likes this

#14 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 6 2021 - 12:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Changed title

• Kaelwizard, Swirlysnowflake and Jakerobs like this

Currently Keeping:

#15 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 7 2021 - 2:37 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I have added a new poll.

Currently Keeping:

#16 Offline antsandmore - Posted January 7 2021 - 2:55 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

i don't know about anyone else, but that last sp. of tarantula is awesome!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#17 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I agree, but the only con to this species is that they are pretty pricey so I’d sell a one in sling for maybe like $40.

• antsandmore likes this

Currently Keeping:

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:07 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I have seen stores selling slings for $100. I voted T. albo since I don’t think there are many experienced T keepers here. Also, they are fuzzy.

Edited by Kaelwizard, January 7 2021 - 3:08 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

#19 Offline Devi - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:10 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I agree, but the only con to this species is that they are pretty pricey so I’d sell a one in sling for maybe like $40.

That's actually incredibly cheap; I have seen them for much much more in shops near me.  I would probably buy one if you had them.  I've been looking into one for a while, it seems like easy care, and animals fascinate me so... lol.  Where would/are you getting them from?

#20 Offline ZTYguy - Posted January 7 2021 - 3:21 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I don’t know yet. I have a wide selection of shops I will be buying from but I will be only selling slings that are self bred. I will do all the breeding and selling myself until I get my own shop running. Then I might have a business partner.

I have seen stores selling slings for $100. I voted T. albo since I don’t think there are many experienced T keepers here. Also, they are fuzzy.

SO FUZZY

• Devi likes this

Currently Keeping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users