• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Glass / acrylic panes for DIY formicarium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antdoctor - Posted December 18 2020 - 10:59 AM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hi,

I'm just getting started in the DIY world. I'm going to be making some nests out of hydrostone soon based on some of the DIY journals I've seen here. I'm planning on using magnets to secure a glass or plastic pane to provide a view into the nest. I would prefer the aesthetic that glass provides. I'm just wondering what people use for this purpose. I've found glass microscope slides (3" x 1") and glass picture frame replacements (much larger) on Amazon. Should I be looking elsewhere to find other sizes? I'm also thinking about doing some other shapes such as circles - does anyone know where I might find circular glass cut outs?

I know THA offers museum quality glass. Does anyone know where I could find this quality of product?

Would I be better off using plastic? Is there an easy way to cut plexiglass at home?

Thanks!

Edited by antdoctor, December 18 2020 - 11:27 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 18 2020 - 1:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,426 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could find lots of different size glass frames at a hobby store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline antdoctor - Posted December 18 2020 - 5:42 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Ahh, you're right that frames at Michaels are pretty cheap. Borrowing from picture frames seems like a good option. Maybe I'll learn to cut glass too... Thanks for your help!

#4 Offline Boog - Posted December 19 2020 - 8:29 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
Would I be better off using plastic? Is there an easy way to cut plexiglass at home?

I spent the last few weeks testing out an acrylic style lid with magnets on a prototype formicarium that I'm DIYing myself and I just had a setback using 2mm thick lids. I used a cutter to scribe and snap a sheet down to squares, used a rotary tool to smooth the edges straight, drilled a hydration hole and was amazed when my design initially worked! The lid was flat with my formicarium and I started doing hydration tests with it on.

gallery_4140_1940_10290.jpg

Then I noticed recently that the lid had warped and is no longer flush with the base. So I think 2mm plastic/acrylic will warp over time and I'm wondering if I should move onto glass instead or use thicker plastic. I'll need to look into the prices and compare but this was a setback to my current DIY builds. I spent time shaping down these squares and will probably try gluing them as a test next. These Neodymium magnets allow access into the nest but can be a hassle to handle and the lid could easily slide off by handling the formicarium near metal tools or what not.

gallery_4140_1940_9601.jpg

DIY stuff is fun but expect failures among the successes. :facepalm:

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 20 2020 - 4:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,426 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What species are you building that for, Boog? You know, I’ve never once removed the glass on a THA formicarium with a thriving colony inside. Gluing the glass may be more practical for tiny escape artists, even of it looks less elegant.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 20 2020 - 7:10 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Then I noticed recently that the lid had warped and is no longer flush with the base. So I think 2mm plastic/acrylic will warp over time and I'm wondering if I should move onto glass instead or use thicker plastic. I'll need to look into the prices and compare but this was a setback to my current DIY builds. I spent time shaping down these squares and will probably try gluing them as a test next. These Neodymium magnets allow access into the nest but can be a hassle to handle and the lid could easily slide off by handling the formicarium near metal tools or what not.

Acrylic and other plastics absorb moisture from the air and warp unless there is some evenly distributed clamping force to prevent it.

The magnets aren't strong enough to provide this.

• FSTP, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline mmcguffi - Posted December 20 2020 - 1:30 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

@Boog, any tips for how you dremeled the corners so perfectly? I just got a rotary tool and it is much harder to control than I thought it was going to be  :D looks great by the way!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#8 Offline Boog - Posted December 20 2020 - 3:35 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

What species are you building that for, Boog? You know, I’ve never once removed the glass on a THA formicarium with a thriving colony inside. Gluing the glass may be more practical for tiny escape artists, even of it looks less elegant.

I was planning to use these ones with my growing Pheidole spp. so I wanted to use these with tiny ants. I think gluing in will work but I'll need to test further, especially dealing with possible thousands of workers.

Acrylic and other plastics absorb moisture from the air and warp unless there is some evenly distributed clamping force to prevent it.

The magnets aren't strong enough to provide this.

Yeah, I was figuring the humidity or the drilled hole was causing it to warp, probably a combination of both. I've got an Ant-Shack outworld with about the same thickness plastic and a lid with a hole in it for feeding which has warped in a similar fashion. I ending up using it as a spider enclosure instead, which was fine.

@Boog, any tips for how you dremeled the corners so perfectly? I just got a rotary tool and it is much harder to control than I thought it was going to be  :D looks great by the way!

Thanks! I went all in on the Dremel accessories and the 231 Shaper/Router Table was how I rounded the corners and sanded the edges with the smallest sanding drum. Had to have a shop vacuum on next to the piece and using pressured air to keep the area clean of plastic shavings which could get between your piece and the table. This could scratch through the protective film or mess up your flat handling while trying to move the piece carefully. Good luck!

Edited by Boog, December 20 2020 - 3:36 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 20 2020 - 4:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,426 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, you’ll need a tight seal if you’re putting Pheidole in there!

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 21 2020 - 7:03 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

he is the expert formicarium maker around here. check out his formicarium building journal!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#11 Offline antdoctor - Posted December 22 2020 - 6:14 PM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

DIY stuff is fun but expect failures among the successes. :facepalm:

Thanks for the wisdom! That delayed warping of the acrylic would be a heartbreaker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users