• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test-tubes and Moat

moat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Quintessence - Posted December 15 2020 - 8:45 AM

Quintessence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

What does one do when the colony outgrows its founding test-tube? I attach a simple outworld and feed them there, since it’s impossible to contain them in the test tube when feeding. This set-up is considered sufficient when the colony is small (say twenty-something workers) and I ought to be able to look after it without too much fuss.

Unfortunately, two previous colonies perished when kept in such conditions. It was appalling to observe their sudden degeneration to an excruciating death. They had lost their will to live, and were not interested in eating honey or eclosing pupae. Perhaps the insects I fed them contained poison. Or there was insufficient ventilation. The mould was not at a level which one would consider dangerous, but maybe this species is especially sensitive to it.

I am able to catch camponotus albosparsus ants relatively easily, and will keep growing spare colonies as back-ups. Having suffered seeing two colonies die, I feared my next two that approached the size the dead ones had reached could potentially suffer the same fate.

So I felt the formicarium upgrade needed to be done earlier than ordinarily recommended. I could feed them only tiny insects to reduce the chance of poisoning. But perhaps the most important job was to improve the living conditions.

Ventilation is not a problem when the test-tube is out in the open, but the ants need to be contained in something. One solution is to surround the test tube with a water moat. I’ve even given a second test-tube that at least provides more drinking water even if the ants are not ready to move brood into it.

Here are the two colonies in their new homes.

This one is in a plastic container long enough to contain the test tubes.

20201213_213811.jpg

Surprisingly a Ferero Roche box is useful here in containing a moat.

20201213_213428.jpg

The moat has its limitations, of course. Ants could drown, but in practice this has happened only to those which haplessly plummet into the water and are dying anyway. As for the issue of ants escaping, this does happen, and it is irritating to catch and return them. I think very few have escaped permanently as escapees usually hang around and are easily visible.

I’m willing to risk losing a few ants if this is the price to pay for an environment that is more habitable and less risky. After all I don’t know how little ventilation and how much dirt they can tolerate. Let’s see if this is a helpful step in their growth.

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 15 2020 - 9:20 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Why are you using a moat, and not something like a fluon barrier to keep them from climbing up the walls of the outworld, and where do you get your insects? These are all questions that can help us help you.

• Manitobant and MinigunL5 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 16 2020 - 5:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i would use the cork stopper that came with the tube(unless it is tha bought) and drill a hole in it. then attach it to the test tube. that keeps the ants more comfortable, and makes them feel less exposed. i would also put substrate in the bottom of the outworld. the ants might bring it into the nest, but if that is what they want to do, then let them. all of these things help make them more comfortable. you can fit 30+ ants in a test tube, so try to aim for 30 before you release them into a formicarium. this will help keep them feeling more safe. hope this helps!

• MinigunL5 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline Quintessence - Posted December 18 2020 - 5:47 AM

Quintessence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I am still rather new at antkeeping, and have nothing more advanced than test-tubes. Of course I ought to get a formicarium at some stage, but would like to see some growth and general good health of the colonies before then.

A moat looks pleasing as it contains water. It's preferable to fluon (which I haven't acquired yet) for now, but maybe at some time I might make the switch. The escape rate is likely very low after all as the colonies are growing.

There's plenty of ventilation, and I've slightly covered the entrances of the nests with small pieces of toilet paper, which the ants seem to regard rather neutrally. At the moment I'm reasonably satisfied with the setups, but will be wary of complacency.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 18 2020 - 6:04 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I am still rather new at antkeeping, and have nothing more advanced than test-tubes. Of course I ought to get a formicarium at some stage, but would like to see some growth and general good health of the colonies before then.

A moat looks pleasing as it contains water. It's preferable to fluon (which I haven't acquired yet) for now, but maybe at some time I might make the switch. The escape rate is likely very low after all as the colonies are growing.

There's plenty of ventilation, and I've slightly covered the entrances of the nests with small pieces of toilet paper, which the ants seem to regard rather neutrally. At the moment I'm reasonably satisfied with the setups, but will be wary of complacency.

test tubes work just fine. in fact i would recommend keeping your ants in test tubes until they reach 30 workers at least, and then give them a formicarium. but i know antdrew says that some species like just rows of test tubes, such as tetramorium.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users