• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

5 gallon Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted December 12 2020 - 9:02 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I’ve been wanting to make an aquarium into more of a formicarium and I would like to know if this would all work.
First of all probably an important factor is what ants are going in, I’ve decided to choose my largest species I have right now which is camponotus vicinus, their colony is small with 2 queens and only 12 workers and in diapause right now, but I think if they were in a large tank with plenty of food all the time they would definitely produce tons of workers
Materials:
5 gallon aquarium
120 wire mesh for the lid
Some kind of plant light if I decide to get plants
A dirtied section if I get plants
Fertilizers if I get plants
Springtails
Dirtied section would take half of the tank and would be divided by a rock into a shallow sand area.
A glass pane or a sturdy plastic sheet used to go up one side of the tank creating an uncle Milton ant farm looking thing to see ants dig.
Petroleum Jelly for the sides of the tank So ants can not escape
Still debating on the dirtied section because I don’t really want the ants to nest somewhere I can’t see what goes on in the nest.
For the future if the colony outgrows the tank I could cut a small hole in the mesh possibly and run vynl tubing through it into another nest.
Leaning towards just having the glass pane on one side where the ants can nest in and the shallow sand bottom with small pieces of driftwood and artificial plants and a small nest on the other side of the tank so the ants have options.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 12 2020 - 9:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t see any way to grow real plants in a healthy way without ants choosing to nest in the soil.
  • Amazant, Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Devi - Posted December 12 2020 - 9:40 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I don’t see any way to grow real plants in a healthy way without ants choosing to nest in the soil.

Yeah, agreed.  You could possibly grow some moss or something...

• Amazant and Ants_Dakota like this

#4 Offline Amazant - Posted December 12 2020 - 10:26 AM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I will probably do artificial plants since I already had 3 aquariums that are planted. If I do go with live plants I may put air plants and then have a very shallow water area with some moss from an aquarium. Another idea would be to have the Small plants potted and put rocks and sand around them which would let the ants have some digging room but not enough to where their entire colony would live in those pots.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users