• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Attempting a 2 Queen Camponotus Chromaiodes Colony, (not known to be polygnous)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Winston - Posted April 9 2018 - 5:20 AM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, United States

I live in New Jersey, and went out into the woods in my backyard and caught 2 queens, one queen was most likely from last years nuptial flight as she just had eggs, and the other queen had approximately 5-10 workers as well as dozens of eggs, I caught 3-4 of them. I'm aware that Camponotus Chromaiodes is not known to be polygnous and one of the queens will most likely die. I caught them while both colonies were still hibernating/just coming out of hibernation. As of now it's been a day. The queens are sitting side by side, workers tending to both, and eggs all neatly arranged in a pile. I'm doing this as an experiment, as I already have multiple colonies of Camponotus Chromaiodes as my woods are full of them. So far everything is looking good.

Edited by Winston, April 9 2018 - 5:23 AM.

• Karma likes this

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 9 2018 - 7:40 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I tried to put 2 queens of Camponotus pennsylvanicus together a year ago. They seemed to get along at first, as they never really seemed to create conflict and were frequently grooming each other. I had put them in a large container prior to this and they were constantly together. Lo and behold, they both died without any wounds when in a test tube. I would guess they accidentally gassed each other.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Winston - Posted April 9 2018 - 9:17 AM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I tried to put 2 queens of Camponotus pennsylvanicus together a year ago. They seemed to get along at first, as they never really seemed to create conflict and were frequently grooming each other. I had put them in a large container prior to this and they were constantly together. Lo and behold, they both died without any wounds when in a test tube. I would guess they accidentally gassed each other.

Right now now they're both in a test tube, legitimately lying side by side parallel to each other. I guess it's just a wait and see thing. Although I'm assuming they're probably going to turn eventually.

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 9 2018 - 9:33 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Right now now they're both in a test tube, legitimately lying side by side parallel to each other. I guess it's just a wait and see thing. Although I'm assuming they're probably going to turn eventually.

That's exactly what happened with my pair

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 9 2018 - 10:15 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I live in New Jersey, and went out into the woods in my backyard and caught 2 queens, one queen was most likely from last years nuptial flight as she just had eggs, and the other queen had approximately 5-10 workers as well as dozens of eggs, I caught 3-4 of them. I'm aware that Camponotus Chromaiodes is not known to be polygnous and one of the queens will most likely die. I caught them while both colonies were still hibernating/just coming out of hibernation. As of now it's been a day. The queens are sitting side by side, workers tending to both, and eggs all neatly arranged in a pile. I'm doing this as an experiment, as I already have multiple colonies of Camponotus Chromaiodes as my woods are full of them. So far everything is looking good.t

90% chance they'll kill each other at some point imo. I once caught two Camponotus caryae queens that were in a founding chamber together even before I caught them. Long story short, one killed the other after a while because they aren't polygynous.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Winston - Posted April 9 2018 - 11:57 AM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I live in New Jersey, and went out into the woods in my backyard and caught 2 queens, one queen was most likely from last years nuptial flight as she just had eggs, and the other queen had approximately 5-10 workers as well as dozens of eggs, I caught 3-4 of them. I'm aware that Camponotus Chromaiodes is not known to be polygnous and one of the queens will most likely die. I caught them while both colonies were still hibernating/just coming out of hibernation. As of now it's been a day. The queens are sitting side by side, workers tending to both, and eggs all neatly arranged in a pile. I'm doing this as an experiment, as I already have multiple colonies of Camponotus Chromaiodes as my woods are full of them. So far everything is looking good.t

90% chance they'll kill each other at some point imo. I once caught two Camponotus caryae queens that were in a founding chamber together even before I caught them. Long story short, one killed the other after a while because they aren't polygynous.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be successful, but I thought I would just try it because why not.

• Karma likes this

#7 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted April 29 2018 - 6:09 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

How did it go? Just curious. I found a nanitic and two Camponotus queens in a hollow rotten stick, and caught them. I want to see how things turn out y'know? 

:>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users