• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DIY Ant Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 9 2020 - 7:37 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Hello all! I'm new to the the ant keeping scene and want to try my hand at it. I have a Kritter Keeper I want to convert into a formicarium. My plan is to put a rectangle box in the middle of the tank and make tunnels that are pressed up against the wall of the tank. I also want to make a top layer that serves as a foraging area. This is what I'm taking inspiration from. My question is how would I make the tunnels against the glass and I what materials I should use. Is there a DIY guide that I can check? I also want to know if anyone else had used a Kritter Keeper to make a formicarium before and has any tips. Thank you!

#2 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 9 2020 - 8:59 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

That appears to be a painted Ytong or K23 Brick with chambers carved or dremeled into it. It is then placed inside the box, and plaster, likely ultracal or hydrostone, was poured on the side. 

Hydration comes from a small hole that a syringe can be inserted into, it'll fill up that separated chamber and wick throughout the nest. You can see the hole in this pic

-M1uJUV8oMpYISAxAsk6zMg_Q3CcQy2vV0tQqwnc

Edited by SleepyAsianAnter, December 9 2020 - 9:02 PM.

• YellowRubberDucky111 likes this

#3 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:10 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

That appears to be a painted Ytong or K23 Brick with chambers carved or dremeled into it. It is then placed inside the box, and plaster, likely ultracal or hydrostone, was poured on the side. 

Hydration comes from a small hole that a syringe can be inserted into, it'll fill up that separated chamber and wick throughout the nest. You can see the hole in this pic

So would using brick be a good idea? I saw some videos where people would use gypsum or plaster to create a mold that's made out of something like playdoh or clay

#4 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:43 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

So would using brick be a good idea? I saw some videos where people would use gypsum or plaster to create a mold that's made out of something like playdoh or clay

Not a regular brick, if you are in the US AAC/YTONG will be harder to get, K23 firebrick might work. You want one of these two because they are aerated and will disperse water evenly. Gypsum plaster works as well, but you'll need to remove the entire cast to remove the clay. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:53 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Not a regular brick, if you are in the US AAC/YTONG will be harder to get, K23 firebrick might work. You want one of these two because they are aerated and will disperse water evenly. Gypsum plaster works as well, but you'll need to remove the entire cast to remove the clay. 

Thanks, I was just actually watching a video from AntsAustralia talking about using AAC. The brick method does seem like the best way to go, I will try to see if I can pick up some of that K23 firebrick you recommended. I have a few more questions though, is there a certain depth i should make the substrate on the top layer of the tank? Should I include some sort of foliage?

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 10 2020 - 3:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t put a deep layer of substrate, or the ants will nest in it instead of the tunnels you worked hard to create. A few plastic plants will look nice, but aren’t necessary. Don’t go overboard with foliage because it will make it harder to clean the foraging area.
  • YellowRubberDucky111 and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 10 2020 - 8:12 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Thanks, I was just actually watching a video from AntsAustralia talking about using AAC. The brick method does seem like the best way to go, I will try to see if I can pick up some of that K23 firebrick you recommended. I have a few more questions though, is there a certain depth i should make the substrate on the top layer of the tank? Should I include some sort of foliage?

If you are going to attempt a copy of the nest you posted, then you'll put the carved brick into the corner first, then you will pour plaster to fill it in, and the plaster will flow over the top of the brick. If I were you, while the plaster is wet, sprinkle sand liberally onto the top of the plaster, then when it hardens you will have a nice sandy texture on it. 

• YellowRubberDucky111, ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 10 2020 - 10:49 AM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

If you are going to attempt a copy of the nest you posted, then you'll put the carved brick into the corner first, then you will pour plaster to fill it in, and the plaster will flow over the top of the brick. If I were you, while the plaster is wet, sprinkle sand liberally onto the top of the plaster, then when it hardens you will have a nice sandy texture on it.

Last few questions, should I have multiple entrances into the nest? In the picture there also seems to be holes around where the plaster filling is, does that mean he hydrates the plaster? How many hydration holes do I need? I also just wanted to say thanks, because you guys have been real helpful

#9 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 10 2020 - 11:25 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

You can have multiple entrances, but I don't really see the purpose of it. You shouldn't hydrate the plaster itself, as there's no point, hydrate the firebrick. Hydration chambers in that nest is a hole separately carved into the brick coupled with a hole drilled into the container which allows for filling, you can have one or 2, but there should be a moisture gradient from one end to another, I would just have one. 

• YellowRubberDucky111 and Ants_Dakota like this

#10 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 10 2020 - 3:21 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

So the checklist is, Plaster, Firebrick, Sand, and some decor? Could I use plaster of paris? Or should I only use gypsum plaster?

#11 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 10 2020 - 3:37 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I would use ultracal 30 or hydrostone. Make sure the kind of of firebrick you use is k23, and rinse it off before putting ants in it. A dremel would be good to. 

Best of luck!

#12 Online ANTdrew - Posted December 11 2020 - 4:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hobby Lobby Perfect Cast plaster is an excellent and very cheap alternative to hydrostone.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 11 2020 - 6:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hobby Lobby Perfect Cast plaster is an excellent and very cheap alternative to hydrostone.

i need to get myself some of that sometime, and test it out.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#14 Offline Devi - Posted December 11 2020 - 7:35 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Interesting... Is it like plaster of paris?  Or a different compound/mixture?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 11 2020 - 7:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i think it is like plaster of paris, just more mold resistant.

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline Devi - Posted December 11 2020 - 7:43 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

i think it is like plaster of paris, just more mold resistant.

I need something like that for my formicariums!  Might have to go check it out!  

• Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

#17 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:51 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

This is my first rough draft of how I want the formicarium to turn out. The shaded in circles are the entrance holes into the nest. The rectangular portion at the bottom is a kind of cave I want to carve out. I liked how the mini hearths from THA had the kind of open mouth look that let ants hang from the ceiling and provided a good amount of space for the queen if she decided to stay there. I'm leaning towards keeping honey pot ants because there native where I live and there pretty interesting ants, and I've heard that they enjoy having space to hang on the ceiling and walls

Attached Images

• image0(5).png

#18 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted December 11 2020 - 12:58 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

I don't see a hydration chamber there, and honeypots are a really sensitive species, I wouldn't risk putting them in a homemade nest.

Edited by SleepyAsianAnter, December 11 2020 - 12:58 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#19 Offline YellowRubberDucky111 - Posted December 11 2020 - 1:06 PM

YellowRubberDucky111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I don't see a hydration chamber there, and honeypots are a really sensitive species, I wouldn't risk putting them in a homemade nest.

I was thinking about putting a water tower under the nest like AntsVienna did in this video. I didn't know whether or not a desert species of ants would need a humidifier in there nest so I didn't want to draw one out. I have read that honey pots are notoriously fragile, but why would a homemade nest decrease there chance of survival compared to one that you could buy online?

#20 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 11 2020 - 1:14 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I was thinking about putting a water tower under the nest like AntsVienna did in this video. I didn't know whether or not a desert species of ants would need a humidifier in there nest so I didn't want to draw one out. I have read that honey pots are notoriously fragile, but why would a homemade nest decrease there chance of survival compared to one that you could buy online?

Possible malfunctions due to design, bad nesting material used, etc. 

The best seller for honeypot formicarium would be TarHeelAnts. His design has been tested for a very long time, and right now almost all the nests are on sale. Trust me, if you spend the money on the honeypots, you don't want them to die. 

• MinigunL5 likes this

My YouTube channel :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users