• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex founding setup/heating

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:28 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

What’s the best founding setup for Pogonomyrmex subdentatus, and what is the ideal heating method? (Heat lamp, heat mat). Should the temps be around 90-95 degrees, that’s what I’ve read.

Oh, also, do the nests still have to be heated once the colony has got many workers? Or is the heating just needed for the founding stage.

Another question, what's the best protein source? Are crickets fine?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, December 7 2020 - 9:50 AM.

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:29 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

heating pads work great, i have seen. i mean, both could work if you use them correctly.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:34 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

heating pads work great, i have seen. i mean, both could work if you use them correctly.

Great! I have like 10 heating pads, I have no idea why. I think I just bought a bunch from a reptile expo last year. Anyways, what is the best wattage?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:35 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Great! I have like 10 heating pads, I have no idea why. I think I just bought a bunch from a reptile expo last year. Anyways, what is the best wattage?

8w i hear. 10 heating pads? that is awesome! i am trying to buy 1 right now!

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:44 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Hmm I'll see if I've got an 8w one. Do I place the test tube in a box or something, with the heat mat off to the side? (So it's not directly under the test tube, but creates ambient heat inside the box?)

Also, will a tubs and tubes work fine? Or do they need a mini hearth?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#6 Offline Devi - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:45 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I have a 4 watt one that works great.  I would stay away from anything more tbh. You might cook your ants. 

#7 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:48 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I have a 4 watt one that works great.  I would stay away from anything more tbh. You might cook your ants. 

Oh, I'm pretty sure I only have 8w and 16w ones. Has anyone had any negative experiences using an 8w?

• JenC likes this

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 9:51 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

How do you use it? Do you place the test tube on top of the mat? Or just near it?

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 10:05 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hmm I'll see if I've got an 8w one. Do I place the test tube in a box or something, with the heat mat off to the side? (So it's not directly under the test tube, but creates ambient heat inside the box?)

Also, will a tubs and tubes work fine? Or do they need a mini hearth?

yes, i would put something between the test tube and the heating mat. as devi said, you could fry the ants.

i use a cloth, but you could use something else, if you wanted.

#10 Offline Devi - Posted December 7 2020 - 10:10 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Very important though, you need to make a thermogradient, similar to those made in reptile enclosures.  Only heat one side of the formicarium so the ants have a choice for hot or cold areas. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#11 Offline Queen - Posted December 7 2020 - 10:10 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

What’s the best founding setup for Pogonomyrmex subdentatus, and what is the ideal heating method? (Heat lamp, heat mat). Should the temps be around 90-95 degrees, that’s what I’ve read.

Oh, also, do the nests still have to be heated once the colony has got many workers? Or is the heating just needed for the founding stage.

Another question, what's the best protein source? Are crickets fine?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

If they are any similar to taking care of P. californicus:

1) I use THA Mini Hearth XL

2) I use a reptile heating cable with dimmer. I go by feel though, not wattage. As long as the cable is just warm to touch and not hot.

Dimmer:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/B0000BYEF6/

3) I've always provided heat, recently started it again even when its winter. I have the dimmer a bit higher during day and lower during night (try to copy desert temps)

4) I believe my colony gets most of its protein from seeds, but haven't given my colony crickets yet. Couple times a week I give them fruit flies and dubia roaches, they seem to love those very much.

#12 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 11:06 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Just looked for the heat mats, I have a ton of 8w and one new (still in its package lol) 4w. Can this be used to heat Veromessor pergandei as well?

#13 Offline Queen - Posted December 7 2020 - 11:07 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Just looked for the heat mats, I have a ton of 8w and one new (still in its package lol) 4w. Can this be used to heat Veromessor pergandei as well?

I use my same heating method for my V. perdangei in the same set up as well. Don't see why a heating mat won't.

#14 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 7 2020 - 11:09 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Am using heatpads for my founding subdents at 90f. Am using HomeMade tubs and tubes for my Pogonomyrmex. I heat first winter and take off every other winter. 
OH also, you don't need a minihearth you can do a  v2 or v3 for them as they stay pretty small. Mini hearths are best if you wanna get something that will hold them for longer.

Edited by StrickyAnts, December 7 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#15 Offline Queen - Posted December 7 2020 - 11:55 AM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Am using heatpads for my founding subdents at 90f. Am using HomeMade tubs and tubes for my Pogonomyrmex. I heat first winter and take off every other winter. 
OH also, you don't need a minihearth you can do a  v2 or v3 for them as they stay pretty small. Mini hearths are best if you wanna get something that will hold them for longer.

Is there a reason why you do first winter and take off every other winter? promote growth first year or restrict growth future years?

Edited by Queen, December 7 2020 - 11:57 AM.

#16 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 7 2020 - 11:59 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Strick they don't know what a v2 or v3 is haha

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#17 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 7 2020 - 12:07 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Hmm, let me guess. Nurbs setup v2 or v3? idk

#18 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 12:11 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

that's right.

#19 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted December 7 2020 - 12:19 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Yes.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#20 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 7 2020 - 12:23 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Swirly is buying all the ants this year.
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users