• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do north african messor barbarus or any ant species from that region need hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Louhouhin - Posted December 5 2020 - 7:44 PM

Louhouhin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I've heard different opinions on the topic whether or not messor barbarus needs hibernation, and I want to know if they do coming from northern africa. Thank you

#2 Offline Devi - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:00 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I don't know much about messor, but if you can't figure it out, I'd hibernate them.  It can be very harmful not to, but there isn't a risk to hibernating them. (to my knowledge at least)

#3 Offline Louhouhin - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:03 PM

Louhouhin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I will take that into consideration, thank you!

#4 Offline Spazmops - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:12 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I think it would be riskier to hibernate them than it would be to leave them out, based off of their native environment, but take my advice with a grain of salt. My reasoning is that it's much more likely to kill the queen if they don't need hibernation and they're hibernated anyway, but if they need hibernation and you leave them out they'll probably just slow down on their own.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#5 Offline Louhouhin - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:15 PM

Louhouhin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I think it would be riskier to hibernate them than it would be to leave them out, based off of their native environment, but take my advice with a grain of salt. My reasoning is that it's much more likely to kill the queen if they don't need hibernation and they're hibernated anyway, but if they need hibernation and you leave them out they'll probably just slow down on their own.

Would you suggest room temperature in that case?

#6 Offline Devi - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:30 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I don't know much about messor, but if you can't figure it out, I'd hibernate them. It can be very harmful not to, but there isn't a risk to hibernating them. (to my knowledge at least)

I'd probably wait for someone who knows the species better if I were you, I don't think either of us have had much experience with messor. Lol

Edited by Devi, December 5 2020 - 8:30 PM.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Room temperature is likely a good compromise.

Edited by NickAnter, December 5 2020 - 8:31 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 5 2020 - 8:36 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I say if it doesn't get snow and typical winter weather, it doesn't need to be hibernated.  You can just leave them at room temp for the colder months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users