• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera Terrarium

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted November 24 2020 - 8:19 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Anyone have plant suggestions? 

ficus quercifolia  :)

Plants r cool

#22 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 2 2020 - 3:58 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I would actually avoid thick mosses, as you won't see the ants and they might as well not be there. Go for nice looking plants that either stick to the ground or grow in thin clumps, like liverworts or very small ferns. Would also suggest to make the substrate a very thin layer (like less than 7 mm thin, another reason to go for small plants) so the ants will actually come out. I've had mature 100 worker hypo colonies in normal terrariums, I didn't even realize they had survived and grown so much until I disassembled the tank. Never saw a worker, all the nest galleries were stuck to the very bottom of the tank.

How would I make a terrarium so short? 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 2 2020 - 4:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would actually avoid thick mosses, as you won't see the ants and they might as well not be there. Go for nice looking plants that either stick to the ground or grow in thin clumps, like liverworts or very small ferns. Would also suggest to make the substrate a very thin layer (like less than 7 mm thin, another reason to go for small plants) so the ants will actually come out. I've had mature 100 worker hypo colonies in normal terrariums, I didn't even realize they had survived and grown so much until I disassembled the tank. Never saw a worker, all the nest galleries were stuck to the very bottom of the tank.

How would I make a terrarium so short? 

You would make the substrate short. The actual terrarium can be as tall as you like.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users