• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Atta mexicana

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#221 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted July 22 2021 - 1:32 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

So I just say build your own nests because in the end its a great amount of money you can save.

I think it's so cool to see the unique setups people get with their DIY stuff.   So much creativity and honestly some of them are downright genius.   

This thread makes me want atta SO BAD.

I would love to make my own DIY nests/ outworlds but I'm still young and don't trust myself ( I'll think it will look ugly )

Making DIY nests are very simple, and don't require much effort. There are plenty of step-by-step tutorials on formiculture, and trust me, ants aren't picky about what their nest looks like.  ;)

• Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#222 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 22 2021 - 2:48 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

So I just say build your own nests because in the end its a great amount of money you can save.

I think it's so cool to see the unique setups people get with their DIY stuff.   So much creativity and honestly some of them are downright genius.   

This thread makes me want atta SO BAD.

I would love to make my own DIY nests/ outworlds but I'm still young and don't trust myself ( I'll think it will look ugly )

I doubt your too young. I'm 13 and I make my own nests for my ants all the time. Just use hydrostone or plaster which are really cheap and great nest materials and try using a dremel at first.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#223 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 22 2021 - 3:20 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I'm 13 too and I have made terrariums for my ants by best one is for leptothorax sadly I may have to tear it apart soon because I used paper towel instead of something more permanent, and I didn't boil the soil but there are spring tails so I may not tear it apart

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#224 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 22 2021 - 4:00 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Perhaps talk about these things elsewhere, like in chat, at this point the journal has been flooded with irrelevant messages.

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, NickAnter and 5 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#225 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 22 2021 - 5:36 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

agreed.

#226 Offline Otter - Posted July 22 2021 - 8:06 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

I'm going to be honest, I want Attas BADLY but since they are vegetarians, I'll never find perfect plants for them, unless they like grass :P

I saw a grass cutting leaf cutter species in a documentary but I’m not sure if it was Atta or something else. Not sure that you would be able to buy them from anyone anyway.

that's atta vollenweideri

• Kaelwizard likes this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#227 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 22 2021 - 8:33 PM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, England

anyways, update?

• ANTS_KL likes this

#228 Offline Antkeeper_21 - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:02 AM

Antkeeper_21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, England

I'm going to be honest, I want Attas BADLY but since they are vegetarians, I'll never find perfect plants for them, unless they like grass :P

I saw a grass cutting leaf cutter species in a documentary but I’m not sure if it was Atta or something else. Not sure that you would be able to buy them from anyone anyway.

that's atta vollenweideri

so the atta is considered weird? ;P

• ANTS_KL likes this

#229 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 29 2021 - 11:54 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This colony is starting to really push my limits. I use a gallon bag to collect plants for them, and they're eating roughly half a gallon of plants every day. It's... a lot, especially considering I live in a desert where good plants aren't exactly abundant. But it's all still totally worth it.

Here's an overview of all the colony's fungus chambers. They're up to 5 now.

IMG 20210729 122735185
IMG 20210729 122752239
IMG 20210729 122756180
IMG 20210729 122827893

The rope bridge is also still going strong, and I have yet to have a single ant fall off. They've gotten amazing at using it and they've made some extremely streamlined paths to get the food from their 2nd outworld, across the bridge, and spread to all 5 fungus chambers as they need. Just in case anyone still wasn't sure that Atta were the best ants.

IMG 20210728 150006953

• mmcguffi, AnthonyP163, BADANT and 5 others like this

#230 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 29 2021 - 12:29 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

This is so rad.   

Couple questions.... 

1:  Where did you get the fully enclosed looking plastic containers?   They look kind of like Beanie Baby display boxes?   

2:  Do you seed the new fungus chambers with fungus or do they just figure it out? 

3:  How many hours have you clocked in just watching these guys?  

These are so cool.   I would figure out how to dedicate a whole quarter of my basement to them and just throw cabbages in twice a day or steal veggies and leaves from my neighbors gardens in the dead of night.   

Anyway, I'm super jealous.  

• BADANT and Antkeeper01 like this

#231 Offline antsandmore - Posted July 29 2021 - 12:32 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I'm 13 too and I have made terrariums for my ants by best one is for leptothorax sadly I may have to tear it apart soon because I used paper towel instead of something more permanent, and I didn't boil the soil but there are spring tails so I may not tear it apart

i'm 13 too and I need to make my own formicariums or nests soon

also nice ants cheeto

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#232 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 29 2021 - 12:56 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This is so rad.   

Couple questions.... 

1:  Where did you get the fully enclosed looking plastic containers?   They look kind of like Beanie Baby display boxes?   

2:  Do you seed the new fungus chambers with fungus or do they just figure it out? 

3:  How many hours have you clocked in just watching these guys?  

These are so cool.   I would figure out how to dedicate a whole quarter of my basement to them and just throw cabbages in twice a day or steal veggies and leaves from my neighbors gardens in the dead of night.   

Anyway, I'm super jealous.  

Containers are from pioneer plastics. They are some sort of display case. They're upside down, and I casted the plaster in the lid.

They just figure it out. I just hook up new chambers and they move fungus there on their own.

Too many to count. Their setup is to my direct left at my desk so while I'm on the computer I can just look over and watch them at any time

• TennesseeAnts, BADANT, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

#233 Offline mmcguffi - Posted August 1 2021 - 4:28 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Half a gallon of plants a day is a lot! Could you cull some of your colony? Maybe take a section without the queen and simply disconnect it from the rest, then keep separate or freeze? You could connect new fungus chambers with tubing smaller than the queen to insure it doesn't get in -- kind of like queen excluders in bee keeping

Anyway, very neat! Can't wait until my Atta start ramping up

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#234 Offline JCRHJM - Posted August 18 2021 - 7:46 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I wonder if you could regulate their growth and keep the population steady by offering a set amount of food

#235 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 18 2021 - 8:00 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I wonder if you could regulate their growth and keep the population steady by offering a set amount of food

you definitely can, but that's no fun.

• AnthonyP163, SoySauce, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

#236 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 20 2021 - 1:59 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

As of now the colony is processing about 1 gallon of plants every day. It's impossible to estimate their worker numbers, but I'm pretty confident I've smashed my original goal of 50k workers, just based on how absurdly large this colony is. I'd like to hear what you guys think their worker numbers might be. It's impossible to estimate accurately, but it's always fun to throw random numbers out there.

IMG 20210820 143701077
IMG 20210820 143647313 HDR
IMG 20210820 143642646 HDR

All 3 of the new nest chambers are getting very close to being completely filled, in just over a month since they were added. I'll likely have to add new nesting chambers very soon. They also have brood just exploding out of the fungus everywhere.

IMG 20210820 143652254 HDR
IMG 20210820 143636045 HDR

I have been having issues with the colony escaping fairly regularly, mostly just a few workers slipping over their barrer at a time and no massive break-outs, but regardless it's not exactly fun to deal with. Not sure how I'll fix it besides replacing their barrier every few days, but I'll figure something out.

IMG 20210820 143630280

• AnthonyP163, SoySauce, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#237 Offline SoySauce - Posted August 20 2021 - 2:04 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
So cool!!!

#238 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 20 2021 - 2:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What are you using as a barrier?
  • KadinB likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#239 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted August 20 2021 - 3:28 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Is it just me or is the vinyl tubing disconnected in the second picture? (look to the left) 

Super cool update though. I'd estimate 55-60k workers?

• KadinB, AntsLA-1 and m99 like this

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#240 Offline m99 - Posted August 20 2021 - 3:34 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Is it just me or is the vinyl tubing disconnected in the second picture? (look to the left) 

Super cool update though. I'd estimate 55-60k workers?

And escapees running out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users