• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation/Diapause Problems and Questions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 7:47 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I know I should've hibernated my ants weeks ago but unfortunately I don't really have any way to. I was going to use my basement but unfortunately it's way to warm. I also can't hibernate my ants in my fridge because of my family. So, I was going to try to get a mini-fridge. But it's not looking like I'll be able to purchase one. So the only thing I can think of is my garage. It get's to the right temperatures. But, I'm worried about how it's going to constantly be opened and closed. The door has been left open for hours even on freezing days. So, rn I'm thinking I could try to really insulate my my ants and lecture my family on keeping the garage door closed. Anyone have any tips on how I can insulate my ants? Also, I might have a spare fridge that I could use but I don't think it has much temperature control. I'm pretty sure that you need to lower the temperature gradually tho. Could I still use the fridge that doesn't have good temperature control and is around 40 F to hibernate my ants? Also, with both options my ants would be exposed to a lot of vibrations on a regular basis. While ants are in diapause, are they more, less, or the same when it comes things that can stress them out like vibrations and light?

Thank you to all who respond.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 16 2020 - 8:26 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
1. You don't need to insulate your ants if you have a fridge.

2. 40F is fine for hibernation in my experience.

3. Ants are basically asleep so they don't get stressed as much. Still unless they are in a formicarium that needs watering just leave em alone until they come out.

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 8:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i am using a cooler to keep my ants cold in the garage. the cooler is actually because it gets too cold. but maybe you can put them in a cooler and add ice in every other day? just an idea.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:04 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

3. Ants are basically asleep so they don't get stressed as much. Still unless they are in a formicarium that needs watering just leave em alone until they come out.

Thanks but you didn't read the whole thing XD
1. I will need to insulate them if I put them in my garage since the garage door will be opened every once in a while when the temperatures outside are well below freezing. The thing is idrk know how.

2. I meant that I thought it wouldn't be good to just plop them straight into 40 F because you have to gradually lower the temperature.
3. Thank you.

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

1. I will need to insulate them if I put them in my garage since the garage door will be opened every once in a while when the temperatures outside are well below freezing. The thing is idrk know how.

2. I meant that I thought it wouldn't be good to just plop them straight into 40 F because you have to gradually lower the temperature.
3. Thank you.

put them in a cooler like i did. it should work to keep them warmer inside than the outside temp.

• MinigunL5 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:30 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

3. Thank you.

put them in a cooler like i did. it should work to keep them warmer inside than the outside temp.

is there anything else I can do? Also, does it give them enough air?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:32 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

3. Thank you.

not sure, as i have the same predicament as you, and this is my first time trying it. i can tell you with certainty that the ants will die if they are left in the garage without insulation. wiped out all of my last year ants.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#8 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:47 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

3. Thank you.

not sure, as i have the same predicament as you, and this is my first time trying it. i can tell you with certainty that the ants will die if they are left in the garage without insulation. wiped out all of my last year ants.

I've kept ants in the garage for hibernation without insulation and they were all fine 

My YouTube channel :)

#9 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 10:05 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I've kept ants in the garage for hibernation without insulation and they were all fine 

Mine would freeze without insulation whenever the door would be be opened.

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:02 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

you don't live in South Dakota. we get -30's in the winter. i assume massachusetts is the same?

mine freeze whether the garage door is opened or not. i am thinking of like adding a heating cable into the cooler just in case things get too cold.

#11 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:25 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

you don't live in South Dakota. we get -30's in the winter. i assume massachusetts is the same?

mine freeze whether the garage door is opened or not. i am thinking of like adding a heating cable into the cooler just in case things get too cold.

Idrk how the weather is here since I haven't lived here to long but I'm sure it can get well into the negatives. 
Also, how would I go about cleaning a dirty cooler?

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

use vinegar. and rags.

#13 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:31 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

use vinegar. and rags.

Won't they dislike the smell?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 12:19 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

use vinegar. and rags.

Won't they dislike the smell?

wash it out with water after you are done.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 16 2020 - 2:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Another option you could do is to mimic nature and dig a deep hole in the ground. It would be a lot of work, but you could get to a spot where the temp stays above freezing.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 16 2020 - 6:12 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Another option you could do is to mimic nature and dig a deep hole in the ground. It would be a lot of work, but you could get to a spot where the temp stays above freezing.

My garage is better than that. Right now it's 38 F outside while my garage is 54 F.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 16 2020 - 6:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That sounds perfect. Put them in a cooler stuffed with insulating materials and have a plan for dealing with extremely cold spells, for example heating them a bit to prevent freezing.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#18 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 17 2020 - 4:42 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

That sounds perfect. Put them in a cooler stuffed with insulating materials and have a plan for dealing with extremely cold spells, for example heating them a bit to prevent freezing.

Could I use a space heater?

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 17 2020 - 4:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, anything to raise the temp above freezing in your garage. Buy a thernostat, or you’ll need to be faithful tracking the weather. Thankfully for you, it seems that La Niña will be bringing the east coast another freakishly warm winter.

Edited by ANTdrew, November 17 2020 - 4:59 AM.

#20 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 17 2020 - 5:15 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Yes, anything to raise the temp above freezing in your garage. Buy a thernostat, or you’ll need to be faithful tracking the weather. Thankfully for you, it seems that La Niña will be bringing the east coast another freakishly warm winter.

Yeah I got a thing to measure the temperature and humidity. Rn it's 33 F outside but 51 F in my garage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users