• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

random invert journal~

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 5 2020 - 5:20 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Actually i found one here it is It looks just like these except the orange band is a pinkish orange one but more pink and softer colored than that.images (32).jpeg

Edited by KitsAntVa, November 5 2020 - 5:22 AM.

We don’t talk about that

#42 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 10 2020 - 1:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually i found one here it is It looks just like these except the orange band is a pinkish orange one but more pink and softer colored than that.attachicon.gifimages (32).jpeg

That's a European Trachelipus species. I don't know of any isopod in the entirety of the US that fit's that description, gonna need photos.

#43 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 10 2020 - 2:02 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What isopods? And I doubt we can get an ID on a mushroom like that, but you may have some trouble feeding feather millipedes. Make sure to have a plentiful source of food fungus beforehand.

I'm pretty sure the isopods are the powder blue and orange 

and i was under the impression that the feathers millipedes at rotten wood... do they not?

I've had them for 6-7 months now... they have been in a deli cup with rotten wood and eco earth. there were actually babies, like a ton of them, but they literally all disappeared 

I'm assuming you're referring to Brachycibe or another adrognathid when you say feather millipedes. In that case no, they only eat certain wood growing fungi.

yes brachycibe 

which funguses do they need?

and in my separated isopod culture, there are small red mites converging in the side of the deli cup. maybe 1-2 mm long, deep red, and spherical. are they harmful? would it be worthwhile to try and culture them as well? lol :)

Mites would be nice to culture, likely oribatidae, which are feeders on dead things and plants/fungi. And for the Brachys I'd just try feeding them various bracket fungi or very flat patches of fungus you can scrape off of wood, I'm currently trying to culture a food fungus.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#44 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 11 2020 - 5:24 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

i found a little (actually quit large) spider today. looked like a incredibly malnourished adult female steatoda grossa 

i caught her in a deli cup and fed her some dubia roach guts and gave her some water

and then set her on her way (into my yard :P)

:)

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 11 2020 - 5:24 PM.

My YouTube channel :)

#45 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 11 2020 - 7:12 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

i wonder why this thread has only 4 stars... hmmmm lol

but the marine snail tank thing had mold growing on the water (like on the water surface i don't even know how that happens). it was really gross  and smelled disgusting so i went back to area i caught the snails, scooped them out, and released them

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, November 11 2020 - 7:12 PM.

#46 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:51 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

another update without pics  :yahoo:

went anting/wasping (?) and found a bumblebee queen that I chased after with this large green net for 20 minutes while passerby stared at me like i’m insane

the bee flew away

i found three milk snails (otala lactea) and put them in a deli cup with some hay like grass where i found them

they were in estivation but came out right after i sprayed the cup, so i fed them some carrots

they are honestly so adorable with their googly eyes

i’m going to set up a terrarium for them today, hopefully i can breed them

i actually will get pics this time (hopefully)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#47 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

another update without pics  :yahoo:

went anting/wasping (?) and found a bumblebee queen that I chased after with this large green net for 20 minutes while passerby stared at me like i’m insane

the bee flew away

i found three milk snails (otala lactea) and put them in a deli cup with some hay like grass where i found them

they were in estivation but came out right after i sprayed the cup, so i fed them some carrots

they are honestly so adorable with their googly eyes

i’m going to set up a terrarium for them today, hopefully i can breed them

i actually will get pics this time (hopefully)

who here hasn't seen passerbys stare at them like they're insane?

• Swirlysnowflake, Devi and antsandmore like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#48 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:23 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Me actually everyone I’ve seen that has seen me murdering logs and centipedes to find camponotus brood look at me like I’m a normal kid. With an interesting hobby of course.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#49 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:27 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Me actually everyone I’ve seen that has seen me murdering logs and centipedes to find camponotus brood look at me like I’m a normal kid. With an interesting hobby of course.

define interesting

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#50 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 16 2020 - 1:54 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

pics!!

09C01222-815A-4E2A-8209-2DF33D71254E.jpeg

these are the three snails, in their terrarium. it is a bit small, but it is the largest thing that i had on hand. hopefully i can get something larger for them. 

E0D9880B-2E41-423D-8794-7270AF0E21E7.jpeg

Googly eyes

64FFB3DC-0B79-4F62-A8F6-C450FF764992.jpeg

*shluck*

these snails are adorable ùwú 

btw the white dish thing has calcium powder because i read that they need calcium for their shells :)

#51 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 24 2020 - 11:26 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

The fishing spider passed away. It was most likely the end of its lifespan because I’m pretty sure the seller who I bought it from wild caught it. Other than that sad news, nothing much else has happened.
I noticed something pretty cool though. The isopods play dead when disturbed. I was sure that I had killed the whole colony because they were all lying on their backs with their legs tucked in. I guess it’s like the equivalent of Armadilliium curling up. 

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, December 30 2020 - 10:41 AM.

#52 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 30 2020 - 10:34 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

The fishing spider passed away. It was most likely the end of its lifespan because I’m pretty sure the seller who I bought it from wild caught it. Other than that sad news, nothing much else has happened.
I noticed something pretty cool though. The isopods play dead when disturbed. I was sure that I had killed the whole colony because they were all lying on their backs with their legs tucked in. I guess it’s like the equivalent of Armadilliium curling up. :P

My condolences for the spider. I bought a huntsman spider and I believe it was also wild caught and died.

#53 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 2 2021 - 1:40 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Well, another update. Everything is doing well. The millipedes have more babies :)

I went to this forest place and collected some wood and moss and stuck it into a terrarium. Turns out there was a salamander hiding in the moss that I literally didn’t notice. (Along with 2 harvestman, a weird cricket thing, and a ton of other inverts) It’s a California slender salamander (I've kept this species before). I’m going to release it when I go back to the forest because I don’t really want a salamander lol. It is very cute though.

#54 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 2 2021 - 1:48 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
My eastern red back salamander died sadly. I just couldn’t keep the enclosure moist enough.

#55 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted January 2 2021 - 1:56 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

My eastern red back salamander died sadly. I just couldn’t keep the enclosure moist enough.

Oh no... :(

A trick for keeping the enclosure moist is to lay a piece of foil on top of the tank (assuming the vents are at the top). This holds in humility very well.

This worked for my crested gecko but she died because her leg broke and got infected, despite being on antibiotics.

#56 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 2 2021 - 2:19 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Oh no... :(

A trick for keeping the enclosure moist is to lay a piece of foil on top of the tank (assuming the vents are at the top). This holds in humility very well.
This worked for my crested gecko but she died because her leg broke and got infected, despite being on antibiotics.
How sad. Thanks for the tip though.

#57 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:35 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Well, not much to update with these inverts. Isopods are breeding crazy fast, millipedes are too. Everything is doing pretty well. :)

#58 Offline FSTP - Posted March 15 2021 - 12:43 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I like your snails!

#59 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted March 15 2021 - 2:41 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Not about inverts, but I’m going to go pick up my leopard gecko in 1 hour :D I can’t wait. Pictures coming when I get it 

#60 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted May 9 2021 - 8:21 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I went anting, found a queen bumblebee, caught it in a net, and when I was trying to get it into a deli it escaped  :(

Anyways, all the other inverts are doing good. Isopod populations are booming, which is great. :D I also caught some interesting springtails, much larger than the ones I normally see. I'll try to get pictures sometime

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, May 9 2021 - 8:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users