• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions about Tetramorium...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted October 12 2020 - 5:29 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Hey guys, I had a few questions about my tetramorium colony.  There are around 50 workers, and lately they have been LOVING their outworld...  This morning I counted 20-25 ants in the outworld which seems like a lot due to the small size...  Do you guys think this is normal, or am I doing something wrong?  Also, I'm getting conflicting reports on if I should hibernate them or not...

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 12 2020 - 5:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I mean it gives you a break if you do hibernate them.
  • Devi likes this

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 12 2020 - 10:02 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Have you been feeding them?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#4 Offline Devi - Posted October 12 2020 - 10:14 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Have you been feeding them?

Yes, I have been feeding them...  In fact I am prepraring a fresh grasshopper for them tonight.  :)  On the same topic of feeding, there is a grasshopper that has been in their mini hearth for almost a week now...  They have COMPLETELY hollowed it out which is expected.  But when I try and take it out, a bunch run out and run all over it, so I can't figure out how to throw it away with out throwing away an ant.  :(  Any insight on that??

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 12 2020 - 10:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

It's totally normal for tons of Tetramorium workers to be out foraging at all times. I definitely recommend hibernating them for your own sanity, but they don't necessarily need it.

Cleaning gets tricky with little ants that like to hang out chewing on the insides of old feeder insects. Definitely tap and shake anything before you try picking it up. A feather comes in handy for brushing them off stuff. I also highly recommend making or buying an aspirator to quickly suck up any ants that run out of trash you collect. I can't imagine keeping ants now without an aspirator. With an aspirator, you can drop old trash in another container, then suck up the ants when they run out of it. This is the only way I can clean my huge colonies now.

• Devi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users