• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Glasses that assist those who are color blind

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted May 14 2015 - 1:01 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I never realized that there were glasses that helped enhance certain colors, especially red and green, for those who were colorblind.

Even as every one's eyes are different, the result of the glasses are also somewhat different from person to person.

But it has definitely helped a few people.

This guy was surprised when his family bought him a pair of these glasses for his birthday.

https://www.youtube....d&v=fTpCTDwjHZQ

So the story goes, EnChroma glasses were developed by San Francisco-based engineer Don McPherson, and sort of by accident. One day he lent a friend a pair of protective glasses normally used during laser corrective surgery. When his friend put them on, he was shocked to find how much color he’d been missing all along.

There are other videos out there, and some of the reactions are quite emotional.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline James C. Trager - Posted May 14 2015 - 1:46 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I saw this video. The guy was speechless, and I can imagine why. Think what it would be like suddenly to be able to see what you had never been able to see before, like into the UV part of the spectrum, or to have night vision in color. I can't even imagine it, so it would seemingly have to be amazing!

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted May 14 2015 - 7:13 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I remember how startling it was to see fine details when I first got my eye glasses.  :D 

My eyes had gotten pretty bad in about a 3 year span for seeing long distance.  I still remember the optometrist looking quizzically at his instruments "better or worse?" and when I could see all the letters perfectly, he lifted the machine and asked me what I saw.  I responded "There is nothing there!" and he went, "well, that is a problem".  :lol:

I have no issues with color, but even just seeing fine detail was a shock.  I couldn't stop looking around.  If I leave my glasses off for a day or even 8 hours or so (rare as I need them to drive, but a day swimming in the lake does it), when I put them on I realize how much I missed.

I can't imagine how it would be to suddenly see different colors.

There are a few other videos of people getting these as presents, and the people giving them played them off as regular sunglasses - just to see their reaction later.  :D

• cpman likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users