• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Phasor's Lasius Journal (First Time Antkeeping!)

45 replies to this topic

#41 Offline PhasorShift - Posted January 15 2021 - 2:01 PM

PhasorShift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Did you mix it with water? Pure honey is often too thick for ants to drink, and they can get stuck in it. Better yet, get some Sunburst nectar from ByFormica. Don’t feed the queens anymore in any case.

I did not mix the honey with water, did not realize I had to do that. And I did get some Sunburst, but it didn't get delivered until a couple days later. I'll use that in the future.

#42 Offline PhasorShift - Posted January 15 2021 - 5:31 PM

PhasorShift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Welp, never mind. The queen that got stuck to the honey the other day has died. Don't know if it's because of the honey, but I suppose mistakes were made.

I just hope the last Crematogaster queen survives...

#43 Offline PhasorShift - Posted January 18 2021 - 5:31 PM

PhasorShift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Update 1/18/2021

Quick update today. I know I'm probably checking on them way too often, but today I noticed my first ever eggs! So exciting.

Attached File  PXL_20210119_001614581._exported_1611019820759.jpg   106KB   0 downloads

Surprisingly it's the only remaining Crematogaster, and not one of the many Lasius queens who laid first. I hope the conditions are decent for them. And I need to remember to leave them be for more than a day at a time...

Now I'm thinking about nest designs again...

Edited by PhasorShift, January 18 2021 - 5:32 PM.

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You are checking them too much. Once a week should be the maximum. Your Crematogaster will produce way faster than the L. neonigers.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25  

Spoiler alert! There is no Deep State.

#45 Offline PhasorShift - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:21 PM

PhasorShift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMichigan
It's just so difficult to keep myself from peeking in every time I walk by... Which you think would be less often, since the ants are in my basement and I only go down there to do laundry, or ant related things. But yeah, I will leave them be now. I won't look. I promise. I'll go back to only checking on Saturdays. Probably.

#46 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2021 - 6:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, just don’t. There’s nothing to see honestly.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25  

Spoiler alert! There is no Deep State.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users