• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID and a question.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kunphushun - Posted November 4 2015 - 12:46 PM

Kunphushun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I stumbled across this girl today.  My main question is how can I tell if she's gravid?  I'm fairly certain she's Solenopsis Invicta since they are plentiful here. Ill fill out all the info as requested below.  Thanks!

Location - Bogalusa, Louisiana, USA

Date - Nov. 4, 2015

1.  She was collected by happenstance in my back lawn.  Its been raining for days here and today is the first sunny day.  I was on the cell, looked down, and there she was. 

2.  Collected on 11-4-2015

3.  Habitat -  lawn

4.  Length -  I could only measure standard (3/8ths inch) converted is approximately 9mm. 

5.  Coloration -  Deep red head and thorax, and nearly black abdomen.  Shiny. 

6.  Notes - She is in the test tube now, but even before I put her in there she was lethargic.  She would only move around if I prodded at her a bit.  Otherwise once she found a spot she liked she would remain still.  I hope she is gravid.  

Are those small balls a parasite?  Will that kill her?

20151104_141701.jpg

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 4 2015 - 12:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, Solenopsis invicta.

The condition you described makes for a poor prospect for a healthy colony, even if she is fertile and survived, the latter of which is also unlikely, given her wings.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 4 2015 - 1:21 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Try keeping her around 29C (84F), they get slow when they are cold.

There is no way to tell if a queen is fertile or not until her offspring arrive.  workers = fertile, males alates = infertile.

I have had queens with wings who were fertile, and queens without wings who were infertile; so wings are not a clear guarentee.  Admittedly, some species almost always shed their wings after mating.

Keep an eye out for more, pools are a good spot to find queens.

PS. what is the red dot in the picture?  On the queen's thorax.  Something on the far side of the tube, or a mite actually hitching a ride?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline Kunphushun - Posted November 4 2015 - 1:55 PM

Kunphushun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks yall. I think they're getting ready to fly as I just found a nest and collected 5 more queens just like this one. All with wings.

that's awesome because I happen to have a pool! Yay!

I think the red dot is a mite. Its alive and moves around. Lol

#5 Offline Kunphushun - Posted November 4 2015 - 1:57 PM

Kunphushun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Pic didn't work

Edited by Kunphushun, November 4 2015 - 1:58 PM.

#6 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 12 2015 - 4:29 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Generally, fire ant queens that fly in the coolest months of the year have lower likelihood of being fertile, and even if they are, of surviving. Survival is impproved by supplemental feeding or boosting with brood from an established colony.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2015 - 7:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

OMG Antdude would be having a melt-down right now.

• dermy and Foogoo like this

#8 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 12 2015 - 2:18 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I fixed it before he got to see all those typos.  :D

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 12 2015 - 2:32 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

OMG Antdude would be having a melt-down right now.

:lol:

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#10 Offline antmaniac - Posted November 12 2015 - 2:37 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
"OMG! Antdude would be having a melt-down right now." You missed an exclamation mark.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 12 2015 - 3:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

"OMG! Antdude would be having a melt-down right now." You missed an exclamation mark.

You're right! Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users