• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

hibernation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 8:38 AM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

hi so a few people have been telling me to start hibernating my ants. but fall hasn't even started yet. what should i do? and if i do hibernate them when should i take them out?

#2 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 17 2020 - 8:59 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Hibernation

In the winter in temperate locations there are often no ants active in the wild.  It is a time when ants rest and re-energize themselves.

Generally, in the wild, a colony will store food, then sometime in the fall or early winter, seal off the nest.  No foraging takes place, brood stop developing, the queen stops laying eggs, and everyone seems to go to sleep; but what about in captivity?  What happens if you don’t let them hibernate?  Where can you place them for the winter?  What kind of environment do they need?  

What about in captivity?

In captivity, the same thing happens as in the wild.  It’s a natural cycle ants go through whether you hibernate them or not.  If you choose to keep them heated and lit up during the winter, you’ll likely notice less activity, no or slow brood development, no egg laying, and less foraging.  It’s probably best for their health if you just let them sleep.

What happens if I don’t allow them to hibernate or keep them heated over the winter?

If you don’t let them hibernate, then there is a chance they will suffer for it.  Some colonies stay perfectly healthy, others start having increased worker deaths, and all around poor colony health.  The queen tends to lead a much shorter life without hibernation.  It is strongly recommended to let them hibernate for at least 2 months, although 3 months is preferable.

How do I put them into hibernation?

There are several ways to hibernate your ants.  They require a temperature between 2-8 °C.

An unheated room in a cool basement will work, and many people put their ants in the fridge.  Coolers can be used with success, either the electric version or using bottles of ice to keep the temperature low.  It is strongly suggested to place a thermometer on top of the nest to monitor it.

Check them once a week or so to ensure they have adequate water and that they aren’t freezing to death, but otherwise leave them alone.  

If you have an insulated/heated garage or shed, put a thermometer in it to monitor the temperate over the winter; anything lower than 0°C may be hazardous to their health.  The temperature shouldn’t get above 8° C

What do I do for them during hibernation?

You should offer some sweets during the hibernation period just in case anyone wakes up and goes foraging.  It’s not all that common, but not completely unheard of either.  The thing you need to be most concerned with is water.  If they run out and the nest dries up, they can die very quickly.  Make sure they stay moist and have access to water at all times.

Some ants may appear to be dead during hibernation, but they may just be sleeping.  If you’re concerned, you can remove the ant, warm it up, and check it.  If it appears dead, place it on a wet paper towel for a few hours.  While it is possible for ants to die during hibernation, I wouldn’t really worry myself over it until spring.  It can take a day or so for the ant to wake up.

I copied this from https://www.formicul...-for-beginners/

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#3 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:05 AM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

thanks that's a big help! but when does it start. it says winter but it isn't even fall yet and some people are telling me to put them in hibernation.

#4 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:19 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

maybe because changing temperatures nowadays it is supposed to be like 45 degrees at night in virginia one day and its been staying round 50-55 at night. 

We don’t talk about that

#5 Offline Devi - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:22 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I live in CO, and it was snowing last week and below freezing and now it's back to 80-90 degree days, so I am not entirely sure when I am going to hibernate my ants.  Probably in about a month or so.

#6 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 17 2020 - 9:28 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

It would also just depend on where you are, Like I am in Scotland, Fall has literally only just started coming but ant activity outside has plummeted severly already even though we are still getting temperatures we see in summer. So for me I would personally be hibernating mine next month, although I would be lucky if 3 months was long enough :P we get freezing temperatures till marchish

#7 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 10:14 AM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

ok thx guys

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 17 2020 - 10:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

SardineBoy6.0, I don't think the advice to hibernate your Tetramorium was that good of an idea, nor a solution to the issues you mentioned. Not sure if you have other species, but that one doesn't even really need hibernation. It's more something they do out of necessity. You don't have to go off the outdoor temperatures, either. Nov.-Feb is a standard timeframe.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:31 PM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

so what could be wrong with my queen?

#10 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:34 PM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

the brood just stopped growing and the queen stopped laying eggs so i guessed that it was hibernation

#11 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:39 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I put mine in my fridge in November-December and my fridge is 32 degrees. I've had no deaths except one colony which wasn't even supposed to hibernate. I take them out the first week of March and soon after that the queen lays a mountain of eggs. 

• Devi likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:42 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

so what could be wrong with my queen?

It sounded to me like she needed to be a bit warmer with more variety in protein. She may just be a dud queen, though.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline SardineBoy6.0 - Posted September 17 2020 - 12:44 PM

SardineBoy6.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

well  i did what you said with no change :(

and she was doing fine up to this point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users