• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Tapinoma sessile Research

66 replies to this topic

#61 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:40 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN

Unrelated, but I have seen 3 or 4 morphologically distinct species of Tapinoma (in size, behaviour) distinguishable from the queens here in Ontario

To my knowledge there is only one Tapinoma endemic to your area, T. sessile, and to date only 3  confirmed and recognized species of Tapinoma to the continental US and Canada: T. sessile, T. schreiberi, and T. litorale. There is I will note though that most likely within the next 6 months a published work will come out describing new parasitic Tapinoma species found in the Eastern US (this from private communication with ant expert at Harvard).

Quite a bit of morphological variation within T. sessile  often leads to false reads regarding novel species claims.  The only way I feel at the current moment and as my own research is indicating is to get proper measurements: Head Length, Head Width, Scape etc and run the numbers, or to do a genetic test.  My examination of only CO1 sequences from Canadian samples, a vast number being from Ontaria indicates that the Canadian population of Tapinoma sessile all  fall within the "Mountain" clade, most likely a cold/elevation adaptive subpopulation, as per this published paper's analysis:  https://journals.plo...al.pone.0009194.  

If you want to collect samples and send them to me of what you feel are possibly new ants please feel free.  You may contact me via private chat.  

• gcsnelling likes this

#62 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 12 2021 - 10:19 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationOhio
Do the new parasitic Tapinoma have a worker caste?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#63 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 12 2021 - 10:21 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Do the new parasitic Tapinoma have a worker caste?

From the conversation, no.  Winged females and wingless males only.

• gcsnelling likes this

#64 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted September 7 2021 - 5:57 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Update:  Finishing up the new species description.  Hope to have it out for review and publication within a couple of weeks.  Will be heading to the Denver, Colorado for the Entomological Society of America National Convention on the last weekend of October to present my research.  Challenging and exciting. 

Edited by PurdueEntomology, September 7 2021 - 5:57 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, AntsUtah and 1 other like this

#65 Offline madbiologist - Posted September 7 2021 - 5:58 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationOhio
Will the presentation only be in person, or is there a way to view it online?

#66 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted September 8 2021 - 3:25 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Will the presentation only be in person, or is there a way to view it online?

madbiologist, I believe one would have to register to even view. I will look into it and if there is the possibility for a non-member of ESA to view only a specific virtual content event I will post the relevant information in a new posting for any other Formiculture.com members to view.  Unfortunately the  virtual conference registrations for non-members is itself a bit pricey.  Fortunately as a graduate student we are allotted a stipend for conferences so that saves me money.  Once my species description paper is published though I will post a link on this forum.  

The ESA registration link is here:  https://www.entsoc.o...ng/registration

Edited by PurdueEntomology, September 8 2021 - 3:26 AM.

#67 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 8 2021 - 4:12 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

That is super cool, this is a genus that has long been in need of work. Congratulations.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users