• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Jersey Anting?

new jersey anting

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 13 2020 - 4:45 PM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Hi there!

I've been living in NJ the entirety of my exposure to the ant hobby and I am almost never just casually outdoors unless it's part my commute, so I haven't been lucky enough to find my own queens. 2020 marks another year of me wasting the ant flight season!  :facepalm: Every once in a while I remember summer 2016 me who was walking home in the middle of what must've been a camponotus flight and just.. kept walking. Ugh.

I wanted to start up this thread since I can't find one, or a recent one. But maybe there are other people in NJ interested in our flights, species, etc who'd like a place to pop in and announce seen/expected flights, share any queens they've found, blah blah. And maybe between this thread, stalking the rest of the forum, and getting pinged in a server, I'll be able to make use of next spring/summer and really dive into the hobby with both feet!

Hopefully it's not just me in my state!  :blush:

• Boog, TechAnt and Devi like this

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

And hoping to buy more, let me know if you can ship or are in super north NJ like me!

Are you in New Jersey, USA? Join us in this anting thread!

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 14 2020 - 5:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

There was just someone asking about other new jersey ant keepers. Let me see if i can find him or her.

• Mariaface likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 14 2020 - 5:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

here is one. https://www.formicul...user/4140-boog/

not sure how often they are on, but...

• Mariaface likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2020 - 5:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m going to message Boog, too. He has great ideas.
  • Mariaface likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 14 2020 - 6:21 AM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

here is one. https://www.formicul...user/4140-boog/

not sure how often they are on, but...

Thank you! Maybe they'll see this.. In the meantime, I should check out their YT channel

I’m going to message Boog, too. He has great ideas.

Nice! :) 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Camponotus chromaiodes

And hoping to buy more, let me know if you can ship or are in super north NJ like me!

#6 Offline Boog - Posted September 14 2020 - 12:36 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Hi! I'm fairly new to keeping ants myself, if three years with my initial colony is considered so, but I've been a lifelong fan and did some childhood attempts with soil in jars that was fun to observe workers in. So we all start somewhere with the hobby and I suggest patience and research as the two fundamentals to strive for. I bought my first queen after I couldn't find any too and I have eventually found several queens in my backyard this year. I've got access to a swimming pool, which attracts all kinds of bugs, and I've been fortunate enough to save some ants from the pool and a very few were fertile and have laid eggs. I've currently got 3 unidentified incipient colonies I'm rearing and another two queens with no eggs out of the two dozen or so I saved. I just found one queen today, as I was out by the pool for maintenance and noticed her crawling on my arm as I was walking back indoors so that was the easiest catch so far. Most activity I've noticed in my area, I'm in Monmouth County, was last month when I found hundreds of dead Tapinoma ants from a nuptial flight in the pool's skimmer and also more ants generally in the water. Just be mindful of your nearest outdoor area and be observant near any moist areas and keep some test tube setups handy.

I've been fairly lucky these last few months as I've been able to get steady freelance work that has kept me busy enough to keep me away from updating my FC journal but I hope to do so soon as I have many pics to share and should ID my queens for possible sales. I've also got tons of footage I captured this ant season that I will need time to go through it all and edit some videos so I hope to build up my YT channel later this year during the ants' diapause.

NJ ANTKEEPERS should chime in and we can get grooving out here!     :party: :victory: :clapping: :dance: :dance2: :dance3:

• Mariaface, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#7 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 14 2020 - 1:26 PM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

That's awesome! I'm pretty much never outside so I've been trying to put the effort in the last few days while it's still warm.. Maybe some lasius will bless me with their presence, but most likely I'll have gone 2020 without any new ants  (n)

Camponotus chromaiodes

#8 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 14 2020 - 3:09 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That's awesome! I'm pretty much never outside so I've been trying to put the effort in the last few days while it's still warm.. Maybe some lasius will bless me with their presence, but most likely I'll have gone 2020 without any new ants  (n)

ask around. I am sure there is a NJ ant keeper that is willing to sell ants. i wish that there were more antkeepers here in South Dakota to buy ants!!!

• Mariaface likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2020 - 3:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hi! I'm fairly new to keeping ants myself, if three years with my initial colony is considered so, but I've been a lifelong fan and did some childhood attempts with soil in jars that was fun to observe workers in. So we all start somewhere with the hobby and I suggest patience and research as the two fundamentals to strive for. I bought my first queen after I couldn't find any too and I have eventually found several queens in my backyard this year. I've got access to a swimming pool, which attracts all kinds of bugs, and I've been fortunate enough to save some ants from the pool and a very few were fertile and have laid eggs. I've currently got 3 unidentified incipient colonies I'm rearing and another two queens with no eggs out of the two dozen or so I saved. I just found one queen today, as I was out by the pool for maintenance and noticed her crawling on my arm as I was walking back indoors so that was the easiest catch so far. Most activity I've noticed in my area, I'm in Monmouth County, was last month when I found hundreds of dead Tapinoma ants from a nuptial flight in the pool's skimmer and also more ants generally in the water. Just be mindful of your nearest outdoor area and be observant near any moist areas and keep some test tube setups handy.

I've been fairly lucky these last few months as I've been able to get steady freelance work that has kept me busy enough to keep me away from updating my FC journal but I hope to do so soon as I have many pics to share and should ID my queens for possible sales. I've also got tons of footage I captured this ant season that I will need time to go through it all and edit some videos so I hope to build up my YT channel later this year during the ants' diapause.

NJ ANTKEEPERS should chime in and we can get grooving out here! :party: :victory: :clapping: :dance: :dance2: :dance3:

Boog is back! 🎶It’s the return of the Mack!🎶
  • Mariaface, Ants_Dakota and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 14 2020 - 3:35 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Users in NJ I found on the Member Map you could reach out to:

MrILoveTheAnts (last active yesterday)  Mikechen123  (last active in 2018)  Kevin (Last active in June 22) 

iXvXi (Last active in June 6)

evanthomas89 (last active in 2019)

• Mariaface and Ants_Dakota like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2020 - 4:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
MILTA is the most knowledgable person on the forum. I wish he would post more.
  • Mariaface and TechAnt like this

#12 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 14 2020 - 6:07 PM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Users in NJ I found on the Member Map you could reach out to:

MrILoveTheAnts (last active yesterday)  Mikechen123  (last active in 2018)  Kevin (Last active in June 22) 

iXvXi (Last active in June 6)

evanthomas89 (last active in 2019)

Thank you! Didn't even realize it'd be a real map...

Edited by Mariaface, September 14 2020 - 6:08 PM.

Camponotus chromaiodes

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted September 14 2020 - 6:22 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
MILTA still around?
Spoiler

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2020 - 2:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
MILTA comes on all the time, but doesn’t post anything.
  • Ants_Dakota and TechAnt like this

#15 Offline 18mackeyb - Posted September 15 2020 - 8:48 AM

18mackeyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationEwing NJ
Does anyone have any queen ants for sale?
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#16 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 15 2020 - 9:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I'm afraid that everyone is looking for ants for sale in NJ, and no one has any. If you want to move to South Dakota, I can get you some. :D

• Devi likes this

#17 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 15 2020 - 11:44 AM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

I wish!! Let me know if you find someone (and, you know, you've taken first pick of whatever they offer lol)

I'm afraid that everyone is looking for ants for sale in NJ, and no one has any. If you want to move to South Dakota, I can get you some. :D

tbh there are so many people selling in NY that it makes me want to move... :mad: But I probably just need to take a breath lol 

• Devi likes this

Camponotus chromaiodes

#18 Offline Devi - Posted September 15 2020 - 11:50 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I wish!! Let me know if you find someone (and, you know, you've taken first pick of whatever they offer lol)

tbh there are so many people selling in NY that it makes me want to move... :mad: But I probably just need to take a breath lol 

I feel you.  It feels like there aren't ANY sellers or even many anters in CO.  Very frustrating sometimes, but like you said, just take a breath. :)

• Mariaface likes this

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 15 2020 - 4:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There are a couple GAN farmers listed for NJ. Did you contact them?
  • Mariaface likes this

#20 Offline Mariaface - Posted September 15 2020 - 6:34 PM

Mariaface

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

There are a couple GAN farmers listed for NJ. Did you contact them?

I've put myself into the query part a few times but never heard back, and most of the sellers listed under NJ either have nothing or it's 1 or 2 colonies of something I don't necessarily want :( but I'll keep checking GAN in case new ones pop up!

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

Camponotus chromaiodes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new jersey, anting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users