• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Not Temnothorax ambiguus? Catsnants - Jasper IN (8-30-2020) - Possibly an undescribed species

Best Answer CatsnAnts , February 8 2023 - 3:53 PM

Ya definitely not T. curvispinosus, I keep T. curvispinosus and they look completely different. Also what camera do you use? I have a camera that can get photos of that quality on Camponotus, but it can barely focus on Temnothorax.

You are correct, here is the antweb page for them:
https://www.antweb.o...03&rank=species

Mathew has been working on this species for a while, so he helped me to identify them a couple years back.

Also, I wrote a whole guide on how I do macro photography (mostly for myself to relearn when I inevitably forget, like right now). Please ignore the cringiness, I’m not quite sure what I was on when writing it:
https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1 Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Aaron567 - Posted September 1 2020 - 5:08 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I’ll try and see what I can find! Also, is it just me or does it seem like the propodeal spines on these ants are shorter than on T. ambiguus and more closely resemble (as an example) the spines on T. schaumii?

Yeah, I noticed that too. They look like little stubs.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2020 - 6:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

That was why I thought bradleyi looked pretty close, as the spines seem to match quite well.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted September 1 2020 - 7:52 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Should I get closer pictures of the antennae to count the segments? Or will that not help narrow it down?

Edit: I used some of my previous photos of the queens and counted 11 segments multiple times, so I’m positive they have 11 segmented antennae.

Double edit: after following a key several times through, this species shares the most traits with T. schaumii, so it might be an undescribed species in the schaumii complex?

Edited by CatsnAnts, September 1 2020 - 8:23 AM.

Spoiler

#24 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted September 4 2020 - 3:37 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Just a bump to see if anyone has any more ID suggestions. I contacted the entomology department of a local university as well as a myrmecologist to see what they have to say. I will be sending them a preserved worker some time in the future. In the meantime, I’ve been doing a lot of research on my own and haven’t happened to find a match yet, even exotic species.

Spoiler

#25 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted February 23 2021 - 4:10 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Hey there!

I’m back after a lot of inactivity, just woke up my ants from hibernation and am ready to get back into it! As such, I figured it was time to look into this species again, so here I am after several months bumping up this topic to see if anyone has any more suggestions. The colony in question just came out of hibernation as well, and should have enough workers for me to preserve one and get it identified soon. I guess I’m really just hoping it’s a new species :lol:. Since I lost a decent amount of what progress I had made in identifying this species, would someone be able to direct me to someone who could confirm that this is or is not an undescribed species?
  • ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, Swirlysnowflake and 1 other like this

Spoiler

#26 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 23 2021 - 6:30 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Hey there!

I’m back after a lot of inactivity, just woke up my ants from hibernation and am ready to get back into it! As such, I figured it was time to look into this species again, so here I am after several months bumping up this topic to see if anyone has any more suggestions. The colony in question just came out of hibernation as well, and should have enough workers for me to preserve one and get it identified soon. I guess I’m really just hoping it’s a new species :lol:. Since I lost a decent amount of what progress I had made in identifying this species, would someone be able to direct me to someone who could confirm that this is or is not an undescribed species?

have you contacted a local researcher? I would do that

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#27 Offline madbiologist - Posted May 21 2021 - 10:56 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio
I have also encountered queens like this! They're super easy to find during the summer when blacklighting, so I'll have to grab some queen specimens and then raise others for worker specimens.

Edited by madbiologist, May 21 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#28 Offline mprebus - Posted February 3 2023 - 8:32 PM

mprebus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey there!

#29 Offline mprebus - Posted February 3 2023 - 8:36 PM

mprebus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey there!

Hi there. This is a species that I’m working on describing. It’s usually misidentified as Temnothorax ambiguus, but has more of a southern distribution. It seems to nest in dead twigs on live trees, especially hickory. I have seen any males of this yet though. Were you able to rear any?

Edited by mprebus, February 3 2023 - 8:40 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2023 - 2:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I sent him a message. Hopefully he’ll get in touch with you. College is keeping him busy.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#31 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted February 4 2023 - 6:17 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Hi there. This is a species that I’m working on describing. It’s usually misidentified as Temnothorax ambiguus, but has more of a southern distribution. It seems to nest in dead twigs on live trees, especially hickory. I have seen any males of this yet though. Were you able to rear any?

Hey there! Quite a while since I’ve been back on here. Surprisingly, I actually contacted you approximately two years back and sent what specimens and photos I had! This summer I’m confident that I will be able to collect many of these queens, so if you would like any for whatever purpose, just let me know! And if you would like me to resend my original photos, I can also do that, I will simply forward our email thread again :)

Edit:
-as for males I haven’t been successful yet, most of the Temnothorax males I see look incredibly similar to my eyes when captured. I will attempt to raise a few colonies this summer and continue to do so until they have males in the colony.

Edit:
(Actually it appears that I lost your email or it has moved, so let me know what you want me to do on that, feel free to private message)

Also thanks Andrew! Got my back ahah

Edited by CatsnAnts, May 22 2023 - 10:52 AM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

Spoiler

#32 Offline antperson24 - Posted February 8 2023 - 5:28 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

I finally got some pictures of the worker(s), but it was at the expense of one queen escaping, never to be seen again  :*( -   However, I'm almost certain she was unmated, so not a big deal.

Anyways, after examining these photos, it's clear to say that this is not T. ambiguus nor T. curvispinosus because the propodeal spines are really stubby, unlike the long spines of the species just mentioned. I'm stumped on what they could be:

Ya definitely not T. curvispinosus, I keep T. curvispinosus and they look completely different. Also what camera do you use? I have a camera that can get photos of that quality on Camponotus, but it can barely focus on Temnothorax

• CatsnAnts likes this

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#33 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted February 8 2023 - 11:23 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Hey there! Quite a while since I’ve been back on here. Surprisingly, I actually contacted you approximately two years back and sent what specimens and photos I had (email is jgr.6333@icloud.com)! This summer I’m confident that I will be able to collect many of these queens, so if you would like any for whatever purpose, just let me know! And if you would like me to resend my original photos, I can also do that, I will simply forward our email thread again :)

Edit:
-as for males I haven’t been successful yet, most of the Temnothorax males I see look incredibly similar to my eyes when captured. I will attempt to raise a few colonies this summer and continue to do so until they have males in the colony.

Edit:
(Actually it appears that I lost your email or it has moved, so let me know what you want me to do on that, feel free to private message)

Also thanks Andrew! Got my back ahah

Glad to see you back on this thread! I hope you are able to find a new species. 

• CatsnAnts likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#34 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted February 8 2023 - 3:53 PM   Best Answer

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Ya definitely not T. curvispinosus, I keep T. curvispinosus and they look completely different. Also what camera do you use? I have a camera that can get photos of that quality on Camponotus, but it can barely focus on Temnothorax.

Mathew has been working on this species for a while, so he helped me to identify them a couple years back.

Also, I wrote a whole guide on how I do macro photography (mostly for myself to relearn when I inevitably forget, like right now). Please ignore the cringiness, I’m not quite sure what I was on when writing it:
https://www.formicul...s/?fromsearch=1
  • antperson24 likes this

Spoiler

#35 Offline antperson24 - Posted February 9 2023 - 5:20 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks, I will be sure to read that!

#36 Offline antperson24 - Posted February 9 2023 - 5:21 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Deleted.

Edited by antperson24, February 10 2023 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users