• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Not hibernating a possibility?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 26 2020 - 9:26 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys,
I have wrecked my brain with how to hibernate my ant colonies. I’m not even concerned with hibernation right now but more or less HOW to do it. I do not have a basement, and our buildings outside that we store feed in and stuff I’m sure get just as cold as it does outside. I love in Southwest VA which can get very cold. Close to 0 degrees sometimes in harsh winters. I do not want to kill my colonies. I can’t afford to drop a bunch of money on a mini fridge or a wine cooler so I really don’t know what to do. Colonies I’ve heard will self diapause themselves even when kept at room temp. I want to give my colonies the best care that I can. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

In Jesus,
Jonny
In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 26 2020 - 9:49 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Hibernation is actually not that big of a deal for most species.

Even without a wine cooler or fridge, you have options. Personally last year when I lived in Illinois I used my garage, as it got cold, but never below freezing. If at all possible a temperature of around 40-45f is ideal, but so long as they don't drop below freezing for long periods of time you should be fine. It's true that colonies will "self-diapause", but this doesn't count as a suitable hibernation. Colonies will essentially stop development in early/late fall, however without the drop in temperatures they won't release the chemicals that cause them to physically hibernate, and thus they will just sit there not developing waiting for it to get cold.

The story changes a bit depending on what species you have. Most ants in the subfamily Myrmecinae are much less reliant on hibernation than ants of other subfamilies. I specifically have experience with genera like Tetramorium, Aphaenogaster, Solenopsis, Monomorium and Pheidole that will never slow development so long as they are kept warm throughout winter. These genera, if not most in the subfamily, can skip hibernation entirely and continue developing year-round. It seriously just depends on what species you have.

Either way, hibernation is not the worst thing ever. I just advise to keep your colonies above freezing but below 45f for around 3-4 months. I generally do early October to late January for my hibernation.

Hope this helps!

• Somethinghmm likes this

#3 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 26 2020 - 10:07 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hibernation is actually not that big of a deal for most species.

Even without a wine cooler or fridge, you have options. Personally last year when I lived in Illinois I used my garage, as it got cold, but never below freezing. If at all possible a temperature of around 40-45f is ideal, but so long as they don't drop below freezing for long periods of time you should be fine. It's true that colonies will "self-diapause", but this doesn't count as a suitable hibernation. Colonies will essentially stop development in early/late fall, however without the drop in temperatures they won't release the chemicals that cause them to physically hibernate, and thus they will just sit there not developing waiting for it to get cold.

The story changes a bit depending on what species you have. Most ants in the subfamily Myrmecinae are much less reliant on hibernation than ants of other subfamilies. I specifically have experience with genera like Tetramorium, Aphaenogaster, Solenopsis, Monomorium and Pheidole that will never slow development so long as they are kept warm throughout winter. These genera, if not most in the subfamily, can skip hibernation entirely and continue developing year-round. It seriously just depends on what species you have.

Either way, hibernation is not the worst thing ever. I just advise to keep your colonies above freezing but below 45f for around 3-4 months. I generally do early October to late January for my hibernation.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. That helped a lot. I have Crematogaster, tetramorium, camponotus, Formica, Lasius, etc. ill see what I can do about finding a place. Thank you so much!
In Jesus,
Jonny

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 27 2020 - 9:11 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tapinoma sessile also can skip hibernation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users