• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Queen 3)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 23 2020 - 4:28 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

After a fairly lacklustre summer with mostly my usual C. Novae. common in my area I struck success with 3 separate queens 2 days ago. As my ant identification skills are terrible I would like opinions on all three, but I will keep the ID posts separate in order to avoid confusion. I realize that this late in the season (up here anyway) it is possible that these are ejected queens that may turn out to be infertile, but we have been having some exceptionally warm weather so here's hoping.

ID 2 of 3

1. Location of collection: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2. Date of collection : 21 August 2020
3. Habitat of collection: Urban neighbourhood sidewalk
4. Length: 6.5 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Brownish with yellow gaster stretch lines
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Winged
7. Anything else distinctive: N/A

Winged Pic 1 crop

Winged Pic 2 crop

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 23 2020 - 4:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Lasius brevicornis or Lasius nearcticus queen. 

• Lazarus likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 23 2020 - 5:26 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Strange she is so small. Mine is over 9mm. I wonder if this could be a light form pallitarsis.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2020 - 5:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You found something other than C. novaeboracencis!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 23 2020 - 5:53 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Strange she is so small. Mine is over 9mm. I wonder if this could be a light form pallitarsis.

She really is small and I was able to get an accurate measurement.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 23 2020 - 6:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

She really is small and I was able to get an accurate measurement.

I wasnt doubting it :). I just find it interesting.

• Lazarus likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 23 2020 - 6:21 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I'm gonna say Lasius brevicornis cause of the shorter antennae

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 25 2020 - 9:13 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

I'm gonna say Lasius brevicornis cause of the shorter antennae

I think you're correct. I found this reference:

Ellison et al. (2012) - This is one of two New England species of Lasius with very tiny eyes; the other is Lasius brevicornis. These two species nest in distinct habitats – L. nearcticus in moist forests and L. brevicornis in open, dry habitats – but they can be distinguished reliably only by examining their maxillary palps at 25 – 50× magnification under a dissecting microscope. In L. nearcticus, the terminal segment of the palp is longer than the penultimate segment, whereas in L. brevicornis, the terminal segment of the palp is shorter than the penultimate segment.

This is actually quite important as their preferred habitats are quite different, Nearticus prefering humid environments, whereas brevicornis prefer dry.

Edited by Lazarus, August 25 2020 - 9:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users