• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Queen 2)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 23 2020 - 4:26 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

After a fairly lacklustre summer with mostly my usual C. Novae. common in my area I struck success with 3 separate queens 2 days ago. As my ant identification skills are terrible I would like opinions on all three, but I will keep the ID posts separate in order to avoid confusion. I realize that this late in the season (up here anyway) it is possible that these are ejected queens that may turn out to be infertile, but we have been having some exceptionally warm weather so here's hoping.

ID 2 of 3

1. Location of collection: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2. Date of collection : 21 August 2020
3. Habitat of collection: Urban neighbourhood sidewalk
4. Length: 8.5 mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Brownish with yellow gaster stretch lines
6. Distinguishing characteristics: N/A
7. Anything else distinctive: N/A

Unwinged Pic 1 crop
Unwinged Pic 2 crop
Unwinged Pic 5 crop
Unwinged Pic 4 crop
Unwinged Pic 3 crop

• Antkid12 likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 23 2020 - 4:34 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Lasius americanus queen.

• Antkid12 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 24 2020 - 3:22 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Wow, I'm jealous!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users